Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Buying a boat, information needed.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by [Freddy], Jan 9, 2009.

1. Hi all,

I'm going to check out a boat tomorrow and have been trying to find out a way of checking that status of the boat. Is it stolen, have finance, etc.

VicRoads don't really have any information and it seems you can just register a boat pretty easily, one site points to REVS in NSW but it does not do any interstate stuff for boats, just cars.

Anyone have advice on this?

2. Try the Police.
  3. Make sure you understand what is needed for roadworthy.

4. The records that vic roads keep on boats are crap. Boat registration is yet just another grab for revenue. Ask the seller for pics of the boat. Everyone takes pics of the new boat and the people on it. If he says he doesn't have any then walk.
  5. Thanks, got plenty of pics already. Just could not believe how dodgy VicRoads are with this, there is even an ombudsmen report 2 years ago saying they need to lift their game.

But anyway I'm off to check it out.
  6. Water Police at Williamstown have a boat database. I don't know if they can give details to the public, but might be worth a shot?
  7. Ended up going to a sales yard and picked up a Maxum 1800mx, great boat and am very happy.

Bring on summer!