Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

buying a bike round the clock

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by TAX123, Mar 25, 2010.

1. just wanting to know is there a way to check if the bikes been round the clock , over 100,000 km, and if its a 600cc and its gone round on the original motor is it likely to blow up, or is milage not an indicator and its more the way its been serviced and riden that will make it keep running.

how far could a good serviced 4 cyl 600cc bike go before it falls apart at the motor?

2. What make/model/year is it? Does it have any service history? Exactly how many k's are showing?

The ignition barrel and keys are the first place I'd look to asses the type of use and wear the bike has had. If the keys are worn down, loose in the barrel, fiddly to turn, or the barrel has all the lettering worn off the top of it then you are dealing with a high km bike. You can also look at footpeg rubbers, see if the seat foam has any spring left in it, and look for marks, scratches and stone chips. A high km bike will be showing its age if you look hard enough. Stuff like the paint wearing off the rims from all the tyre changes, badly worn discs and worn chain adjuster bolts are a few examples.

But not all high km bikes are bad. I've seen couriers with more than that on the original engine. I knew a guy who took an NTV650 around the clock twice - in miles! I've seen mid 1990's CBR600's with over 150K on them, but when I bought a low km one it was the biggest POS I ever had the luck to own.
  3. The service history is important, but 100k on a bike that revs quite high is high k's, no doubt about it.

Some bikes like Harleys, R65's etc often make 300-500k's out of an engine as they're so low stressed.
  4. what do you mean by 'round the clock'??? over 100,000 kms?

my 600 had 51,900 odd on it when I bought it and now has 143,000 odd on it.

is it worn out? hardly

would I get much for it if I sold it? hardly

see above about service history, etc...