Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Buying a bike on a foreign license

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by MissionMan, Nov 15, 2011.

  1. Does anyone know if there are any issues with buying a bike on a foreign license if the person doesn't have PR yet. I.e. they want to buy a bike for the duration of their stay. Aside from finance issues (which normally limit the finance period to the length of the visa), would they be forced to convert their license before buying or would they be able to buy on a foreign license?

    This is for a colleague, I'm an aussie citizen so its not applicable to me.

  2. In SA you can buy a vehicle without any licence.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. forcing someone to have a license in order to buy a vehicle would be stupid as hell.

    So yeah, I'm sure it's the case.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. You don't need a license to buy a bike or register it in Victoria, I think.

    and regarding license, again in Victoria, VICROAD says

    "If you are in Victoria on a temporary visa, you can drive on your overseas driver licence for as long as it is current providing it is in English or accompanied by an English translation or International Driving Permit. There is no requirement to get a Victorian driver licence.
    If you have entered Victoria on a permanent visa issued under the Migration Act 1958, you may drive on your overseas driver licence for:
    six months from the date you first entered Australia if the permanent visa was issued before you entered Australia; or,
    six months from the date when the permanent visa was issued to you if the permanent visa was issued to you whilst in Australia.
    If you want to continue driving in Victoria after this time you must change your overseas licence to a Victorian driver licence. "
    • Like Like x 1
  5. thanks guys, appreciate the help.
  6. you will need a 'permanent' address to register it however. He could use yours for example - it's really so they have somewhere to send the speeding fines and other assorted demands for money.

    Grue - if you needed a license, no company would ever purchase vehicles.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Permanent address shouldn't be an issue. He's here for 4 years so I'm guessing he's got an apartment or his looks pretty neat for someone who is living in a gutter.
  8. In NSW he will need to go first to the RTA and get a customer number, to be able to buy and register the bike. Pretty easy and could be done in like 30 min. They ask for proof of identity (passport) and a document for his address (any bill, tenancy agreement, etc). The more documents the better. The will issue a number and register the vehicle that way.

    I'm on a temporary visa, have registered 3 bikes and one car so far with no dramas, and haven't converted my license yet. Your mate should be fine.
    • Like Like x 1