Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Buying a bike interstate...

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Snicko, Dec 19, 2012.

1. #1 Snicko, Dec 19, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
    Hey guys,

Been quite inactive since I sold my little RVF in August last year.

I'm almost off restrictions now and about to buy a new bike.

I've been looking at a CBR1000RR Fireblade (or possibly a 600RR should I find a decent one) in the next couple of weeks, but for some reason in Victoria there a very few within the K's range that I want and that are black.

Now....I've found a 2007 Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade with under 5000k's.

Font Family
    Font Size

I've been chatting to the guy and everything sounds good, providing service history/receipts, just had a major service (as per one potential buyers request((not mine)), RWC (yes it won't be valid in Victoria), the bloke said he's happy to try and source a stock exhaust for VIctorian RWC purposes, stock windscreen etc.

I'm looking to get an inspection done this week maybe if I get the go ahead and some positive responses here. He's said he can get some more HQ pictures and a walk around video to me on friday/saturday.

The price and the k's and the condition (from what he's said), almost sound too good to be true so I'm trying to be somewhat cautious and gain some opinions from those in the know about buying interstate?

Should I go ahead with this and have it transported down to Victoria?

How do I go about the paperwork/vehicle checks/payment/knowing I'm not about to buy something that I could regret?

What do you guys think? Any horror stories? Or should I snatch this up and follow some steps and go for it (not sure what those steps are just yet)?

2. road trip.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I sold my first bike interstate. The buyer was in WA and paid for transport and all the rest. It needed a gearbox overhaul (which they knew) and took a year to rebuild it. They were having some problems with getting it registered over there, but they were very happy with it when I last spoke to them.

I realise it is the wrong way around for what you are doing, but so long as you are careful and do the right checks such as ownership and RAC or equivalent inspection you should be fine.
  4. If you get an inspecton then it will be fine. I would be worried it was a race/track bike with those few kms. Its almost too few kms, bikes need to be ridden.

I have bought bikes with interstate rego (but was here) it is a bit of a pain. I probably wouldnt do it again unless it was something rare (not a jap sportsbike)
  5. I considered flying up and maybe hiring a car/trailer/van and drive back but it'd cost nearly just as much as the $800 odd on delivery to my door.

I just have to find out if the bike has any finance/written off/accident history through like a REVs check but is the only way of finding out paying? (He has said no of these are applicable for the bike)

Isn't there a free one like there is for VicRoads?

6. Which bit was a pain? Getting it roadworthy'd and rego'd in another state? The transport?

I can't see it being that big of a deal. The bit that worries me more is the condition of the bike, the genuine-ness of the word "Immaculate" and the paperwork that needs to be done with any purchase?

That's the biggest bit I feel, the paperwork. Do I just fax/email back and forth Victorian transfer of reg forms and a hand written receipt for us both to sign and print out copies?

Gah it's doing my head in.

7. It might be immaculate because its got unused fairings on it since it would of had race fairings on it. Ask the owner outright you might save a inspection fee.

It was annoying because of the rwc, I am in NSW but so it might be easier/harder in VIC. Mine had wa rego but I bought it here in sydney so no transport. Also had to go to the rta and I hate that place. If I had to transport it as well it would hafe to be a $2k saving and I dont think they really exist. I do wonder why that guy hasnt sold that bike at that price, its a 2007 but still ( would remove the ad if i was you from your post because someone will poach it).
  8. I've done it several times. It's far from a difficult process. If the bike still has reg from another state you just need the RWC and they do not need to see the bike. Makes it easier if a aftermarket pipe or something like that needs some leniency. Then you just pay your stamps and reg. If the bike is a good deal, checks out and there is paperwork supporting it, why wouldn't you is the bigger question. Last year I got an 08 bike with only 3900 k's. Some people only get out a few weekends each summer. Also get the buyer to call up and put the bike into your name at his roadfs office and see if it works as well as mine did just recently. I bought a bike from NSW and the previous owner was very meticulous with everything during the sale and put the bike into my name with the RTA as soon as the transport picked it up. So by the time I rang Vic Roads to book it in (at which point you provide Reg, Vin & Eng numbers, the bike was already showing up on the Vic computer under my name. The dude on the phone then proceeded to tell me that I wont need a RWC as it's just a rego transfer under the same name. I was totally surprised and asked him to check with his manager, which he did and he confirmed it as the correct process. He did say however that I would have to pay the stamp duty still as this was not paid by the previous owner. Cool. Though when I finally went in to vic roads, I paid for my rego and they never bloody asked me anything about stamps! I just kept my mouth shut as I couldn't believe it. Saved quite a bit of coin!! I think the stamps bit was just a fluke, but def worth getting the seller to try and transfer the bike over to you at their local roads office after you've paid.
  9. It's as simple as calling up to asking to change it into my name through Queensland transport office? It's just a name change? Don't forms etc need to be signed?

I'm that lost with it all mate haha.
  10. Not sure. This was a bike from NSW. Though I had sent him all my details for a receipt he e-mailed to me and then asked me to countersign and send a scan back. Maybe he used this to confirm it's sale with the RTA? To me it never made sense but I never asked cos it saved me a lot of effort and $$. Worth checking with QLD roads I reckon. Just ask if the seller can transfer to your name and have the stamps paid here. Really even the way I had done every other interstate registered bike previously is still easy. You just need to show up with the RWC and no bike inspection needs to take place.
  11. With NSW you can dispose of a vehicle electronically online, as a seller you just need their name and licence number. THats probably how padro was so easy. The seller just then goes in and pays online as well.

You cant do that if you buy from interstate.

This will vary in other states
  12. It must have changed in the last 10 years. I sold a bike to my sister who lives in Vic. The bike had a NSW RWC, VicRoads still needed to have a Victorian RWC to transfer it to Vic Rego. It passed the NSW RWC, but failed the Vic RWC.
  13. Other than an aftermarket slip on which the bloke is providing a stock one, what else do I need to look out for that is unlikely to pass a Victorian RWC?
  14. I can only tell you from 10 years ago, so it may not be valid today. But they failed the bike because of clutch operation, damaged body work, incorrect mirrors (too small) and chain condition.

From what I'm led to believe a RWC in Vic is more like a NSW 'Blue Slip' which is required when registering a vehicle for the first time.
  15. I just bought an interstate bike - mistake? - dunno, will tell you tomorrow when it gets here.
    I was looking at a 'too good to be true' bike and a slightly dearer bike.

If you really just can't get there - ask for photos, tonnes and tonnes of photos. The bike that seemed 'too good to be true' had a few things that didn't sit well with me - the seller complained that someone came to buy it, got there, and offered him a grand less on arrival. The purchaser had travelled 500km to get there... that rang alarm bells. We had several conversations, he relaxed and started talking about the crash bars which he took off the bike (why would a learner remove crash bars unless they were stuffed?), he said he did from L's to Full's on the bike - but had only done 3,000km on it in total? The km's were 'too good to be true', he kept asking if I hadn't made an offer because of the price (didn't make sense to me, if it was an honest bike it was already priced at a steal), then when he sent photos of close up's I saw surface rust on the bars, wear on the bike which wasn't accurate to the km's it had done, there were parts which weren't original (hoses, clamps), the flaws came out eventually. My advice is to keep talking to them. Write down facts they say, revisit things, see if the story changes. It's still a gamble - any second hand bike is, but just completely satisfy yourself before you make a decision. I don't feel one bit of doubt about the bike I bought and I haven't even seen it yet. I had BMW owners go over the photo's, they were able to give honest, unbiased opinions and werent blinded with love like I was.
    I ended up buying the dearer bike with more km's, purely because I had no doubts about what I saw... it's a tough call, but if you know your stuff (or know people who know their stuff, like in my case) you should be okay.

Do your ID checks, get a Honda mechanic to look over it, cross your t's and dot your i's and you'll be right mate! Good luck.
  16. Yeah, that's why it's a bit odd, a 2007 bike, with less than 5000km's. It does sound too good.

But there are just very limited choices down here in Victoria for what I want so it's just like ARGH. Killing me.

So unsure about it all. I'm getting a bunch of photos and a walk around video tomorrow. I'll post it all here and maybe some Honda in the know can give me some peace of mind.

17. Don't do anything until you're feeling more sure than unsure! Be wary of people saying things like "I couldn't get the right lighting to get a proper pic of blah blah blah" and pushy sellers. That's not to say that it's not true in some instances, but dishonest people's BS tends to mount up over a few phone calls.

Put the photos up here somewhere, or maybe ask if there's Honda owners you can email them to who do their own maintenance.

There's only so much you can ever tell when buying a bike (even when you're standing there looking at the thing) so just do the best you can and if your gut says no, don't do it. There's plenty of bikes out there.
  18. If you really are keen on the bike, it might be worth spending a few dollars and getting an independent mechanic to look at it.
  19. That can be somewhat common.
    I bought a bike from QLD with QLD rego and RWC and it wouldn't have had a hope of passing NSW Blue Slip.
    I also bought a car from QLD that had nsw rego and came with a QLD RWC. I was able to use that RWC for registration transfer.
    Despite what they tell you it is possible to use a RWC from another state. It's just not easy and they can knock it back over the counter.
    The states have reciprocal agreements which are mostly intended wrt RWC to allow you to re-register a vehicle while travelling interstate.
  20. It does happen, I looked at a CBR1000 for a fellow netrider the other week, 2007 as well with 11000kms on it. It was genuine, the guy had other bikes. You could ask him why the kms are so low?

The thing that is hard to do over the phone is making everything complete and accurate, like the one that I looked at he had told them that it had books, but it didn't because he was referring to the manual being there rather than it being signed. This wasn't obvious to the buyer but was to me. I don't think that the seller confused the buyer maliciously I think it was just incompetence from the seller. Another thing that the buyer had missed was there was no original exhaust with it.

The inspection by someone is vital.