Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Buying a bike from interstate

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by kinch, Jul 24, 2008.

1. I found a bike that's the model I want, from Victoria (I live in Brisbane). The price is within my budget (quite lower than I was expecting actually), and it has a RWC and rego. I'm not a huge fan of the colour, but I'd be a fool to pass up a good opportunity.

Not being mechanically minded, I have every intention of getting an independant mechanic to check it out and give me a report, but if everything is given the green light, is there any problems with buying a bike from interstate? Rego concerns? Presumably I'll have to pay the QLD govt something once I buy it and move it up here to Brisbane? (I dunno, but I can't imagine the govt will pass up a chance to make some money for doing nothing).

Anything I should know about ?

Oh... wasn't sure whether this should be in bike thoughts, politics, general, or some other forum, so I stuck it in general to be safe... if there's a better forum, please move it :)
  2. You'll have to get some sort of roadworthy check I expect, and pay for new QLD plates and registration. Check with your local authority for details. Also factor in the cost of getting it transported or time off work for you to ride it home, also the place to find its got a problem is not half way home from Melbourne! Might not be as cheap as you think!