Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Buying a Bell Bullit Carbon from the US. NSW legal?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by Luftgekuehlt, Aug 9, 2016.

1. So I saw a Bell Bullit Carbon RSD Bagger recently. Try as I might, it seems one in an XL is no longer obtainable in Australia and they are no longer available from Bell's Australian distributor.

They are still available in the US however and they do come with A ECE22.05 standards logo - however not UNECE ā€˜Eā€™ approval mark, with a number which represents the country in which the testing and certification was approved as per the NSW requirement. For example:

euro.

Has anyone purchased a Bell Bullit overseas? Are these legal in NSW? I suspect they are no compliant because whilst they are labelled ECE22.05, they do not have the approval mark as stipulated for use in NSW.

See: Transport for NSW - Centre for Road Safety: Helmets webpage

2. Correct me if I am wrong, but this is the European Standard which is currently different to the Australian Standard. From what I've been told Australia is changing legislation to accept the European Standard now. Some bike shops are even stocking the Euro Standards helmets like Shoei, because they are now approved.

I personally think you'd be good buying one and using one. I had a Scorpion helmet years ago that didn't have the sticker and I was never asked about it. With the laws changing I doubt it would cause concern. Best thing would probably check with NSW transport regarding this specifically and they could probably answer the question for you.

3. The compliance mark for ECE helmets is not on the label on the back of the helmet. There will be a certification label sewn to the chin strap. That's where you'll find the marking you're looking for.