Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Buying a bed - your tips / advice

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by robsalvv, May 2, 2011.

1. It's time for me to buy a new bed.

When I was a younger man, I could sleep on almost anything - not so any more. My current bed is 15+yrs old and was a budget mid range part of the market QB mattress/base ensemble, which is soon to be retired to the spare room.

These days the bed market is huge. Everyone sells beds. Snooze, 40 winks, Bev Marks, Harvey Norman, any number of other places, and then there's the plethora of factory outlets... Arrrgh!

My head is spinning. I've seen the bed for backs products and tempur latex mattresses and also had my head crammed with zoned spring pockets, partner disturbance factor, pillow topped, king koil, Simmons, Sealy, Chiropaedic, medium, firm, soft, blah blah blah blah :blah:

Seeing as this bed is probably going to see me into my 50's (OMFG!! I'm feeling old), the budget is going to be a tad more than my last bed but ideally less than the "cost of a second hand low km small car". (Have you seen the prices of beds at the top of the market?!?)

Soooo, your advice or knowledge share please.

2. we recently bought a normal innerspring mattress with a latex "pillow-top"

it cost around $1200 and is without a doubt one of the best investments we have ever made

I was suffering from a chronically sore shoulder for the six months or so before we bought it; within 2 months the symptoms had completely disappeared....
  3. Drop the ensemble and get a cheap bed frame from an op shop. And spend more on the mattress. Then you will have more storage under the bed as well.
    I know what your saying though. Worse than buying toothpaste.
    I went around and around for months. Ended up buying the cheapest one with the longest warranty from a known brand. Still was close to fifteen hundred for the mattress alone, but they threw in a wooly overlay because I was going on about latex being hot. I live in SEQ and it's felt no hotter than the one I had before which was not a latex top.
    Oh a Sleep City posture excellence.
  4. AH Beard, I used to work for Rydges and got a AHL Beard Rydges Dream Bed for staff price. Best bed I have ever ever slept in. Best thing is you can stay at a Rydges with them and try it out before you buy.
  5. Rob, best to go to a few shops and lie on the various mattresses - that is the only way to find one that is comfortable for you. The larger shops will have a good range on the floor, so it's easy to compare them. Just be aware that some of them will require new sheets to be bought also as they have much more depth than the standard types.

The actual frame itself is down to personal taste and can be to any budget.

Good luck with the search.

6. We got one of these about 5 years ago now. It was incredibly comfortable but if you don't like sleeping hot I wouldn't get one. Because you fit so snugly into the top of the mattress they just keep you so much warmer.

We went from blanket and a doona in winter to just a blanket and the doona on our lower legs.

As they get older the body shaped profile you lay in does get bigger, to the point the pillow top doesn't support you enough. I'm having shoulder troubles at the moment and I'm starting to think it's because of this.
  7. +1 to this - very comfortable but quite hot to sleep on.
  8. I have had back problems all my life, Lifting heavy weights before my body was strong enough for it,
    I used to roll off the bed, it was the only way I could get out of it,
    I had a top of the line chiropractic bed for years and it did jack shit for me,
    I bought a second hand water bed to try out, My G/F at the time had one, It was marvellous, But it was one of the early types that did not have wave control or any thing else,
    Mine has a foam inside it that stops the wave action,
    But they have come a long way since then, They have all sorts of things including mattress tops, dual heat, Etc Etc.
    I am still on the second hand water bed That I bought, and it is marvellous, I have no aches or pains from the hard beds I had before,
    My back is not noticeable at all,
    I have had mine 10 years, Go back to a hard bed, Never,
    They do come in a multitude of extra's that are in it, So you have to check out all the different companys that make them,
    Expensive, Yes,
    But whats a good nights sleep worth, when you consider that your going to spend a third of your life in bed,
  9. I recently bought a latex bed, basically the best i could get for my back. The place i bought it had a guarantee that you could try the bed for 30 days and if you didnt like it you could return it - all that would cost you was ~$250 to have the bed coverings stripped, and the latex remoulded into a new bed for sanitary reasons etc, and to be recovered with new covers and resold.

Of course, if you go spending $4k on a mattress, you want to be sure you like it :D and i LOVE IT (after about 2 months of getting used to it).

That said, you can get a hell of a good independant inner spring mattress, or quality firm waterbed, or lower end of the scale latex mattress for ~$2k.
  10. We bought a $99 frame from one of the discount wharehouses, reject shop or something on special, then spent over $1000 on a latex mattress from sandman mattress factory (http://www.sandman(dot)com.(dot)au/index.html)
    10 or 11 years ago. We flip the mattress every few months and its still very comfortable,
    The beds a bit creaky but theres no springs to break through into your back.
  11. Mattresses last longer if they're on a spring base... or so I was told... is this a lie?
  12. advice? dont get a used motel bed 8-[8-[..youll be surprised what extra stuff it contains.
  13. As others have said: the money's in the mattress.

But think about what you want from your bed frame. I didn't want any hard edges, or a large rigid end that I couldn't sit on - all the super expensive beds were these grand sleigh style things, which might be ok to sleep on - but I like to play games, put my shoes on while sitting on it, etc.
    End of the day, only Fantastic Furniture had the style I wanted. Bought it. Mattress included for $2k. Brand new.

(also, it's 2 columns sprung slats - no springs or wide hard slats that can break. Supported down the middle too, so the mattress keeps it's shape nicely).
  14. When it comes down to it, it's something you'll use for (depending on how much you sleep) a third of every day for the foreseeable future. It's worth spending the cash on getting one that's best for you.

That said, don't be afraid to walk into lots of different shops and give the best price the previous one gave you until you've got a good deal, either.

Waking up every morning with a feel of comfort is fantastic, unless you have to go to work!
  15. We bought a new bed about 18 months ago from a factory outlet. Pocket Spring with latex pillow top. It seriously is one of the best purchases we have made. Same bes was on sale at Harvey Norman at the time for 2100. The pillow top does get a bit warm though. Nice in winter can be a bit annoying in Summer. Pocket Springs the way to go. Just test for the firmness/softness you want.