Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Buying A 99-Xjr1300 - 98K Mileage

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Ebin Moothedom, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Hi Members,

I am Ebin from Brisbane and been riding motorcycles for some time. Been looking to buy an XJR for quite sometime and yesterday came across this one at the teammoto dealers.

I cannot download the pictures from the dealer website, so putting a link to the website if anyone interested in seeing the big pictures.

Used Motorbikes, Dirt Bikes, Yamaha, Honda, Motorcycles For Sale, Motorcycles

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Its a 1999 XJR1300 with 98 thousand kilometers on the odo. I took the bike for a spin, and surprisingly the motor is BUTTER SMOOTH. Bike has everything stock as I can see, the outside of the engine is dry as new, with no oil leaks, no squeaks or rattles and the bike stays straight and stable even on low speeds. I could not find anything faulty or wrong with it and i rode it for about 15 minutes.

The front brakes were a bit soft and the bike felt a little heavy to flick or zigzag. But the bike stays super stable and hold a straight line if you leave your hands off the bar.

The total price would be around $4500 AUD including rego and transfer fee and also I will be trading my scooter (might get $200 - $300). The bike will have a new battery and the tires looks decent.

I want to know, should I go for this ? or would I be crazy if I dont get this ? XJR is the bike I always wanted but the high K's concerns be a bit.
    I want all you readers opinion on this... should I go for it ? (yes I want to...my emotions), but want expert opinions.
    What do you think ??? [​IMG]
  2. Ticks all the boxes. Ride it again. Obviously no crash damage you can see, no bent forks, no leaks. 3 month warranty? The question you are asking now is:
    What mechanical issue does this bike model have, other than wear and tear? Someone here will know the answer.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. 98,000 kms over 16 years = 6125 kms per year. Not a huge amount of travel. Go for it. Big bikes last .
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. Agree with Rennsport, big bikes last and the XJR has a longevity reputation. A simple engine that any mechanic should be able to service with heaps of power and torque.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. So got a call from the dealer and they are happy to pay $500 for my scooter and I am happy with it as if I try to sell privately it won't pass the safety test.

I've been searching lots on the bike and yes, I came across few issues mentioned by owners. But they all look like generic and can hit any bike.

I am considering it as a green signal and going for the bike. A good Christmas present for myself and wifey is happy too.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. That's a lot of money for a scooter! Jealous! Have fun mate.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. 2008 Honda lead that's done 21k's. Got it off gumtree got it fixed and been riding for 6 months to get used to the road rules here. Well time for a proper motorcycle.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. #8 Petesul, Dec 22, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
    Anything 2 wheels has my approval. Just watch how the gentle Vietnamese people do it.
    I'll wave as you blat passed me.
  9. Took the bike yesterday. It's a beauty. Massive torque. IMG-20151224-WA008. IMG-20151224-WA005.
    • Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1