Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

buying a >250cc bike on p's in victoria

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by davidgeo, Feb 18, 2006.

  1. Hey All

    I have recently got my p's and want to know if i can buy a 600cc ninja in victoria. I have a friend who needs to sell his bike, I suggested i could take it off him but i dont know if i was able to transfer it into my name/register it.
    Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

    Cheers Dave.
  2. U can register any bike U want in your name mate
  3. You can be on P's and own a bike larger than a 260cc if you have held your rider endorsement for longer than 12 months.
  4. Can I insure the bike then? I dont have the endorsement for over 12 months.
  5. Vic, you meant he can *ride* bike larger than 260cc...

    Theres no restrictions on what he can buy & register :p
  6. How come bike shops wont sell bigger bikes to restricted riders?

  7. Kishy, you ment *There's* not Theres :evil:

    Yeah, own/ride/root whatever dood, I'm tired, grumpy and short tempered, now pis orf :p:p:p:p
  8. Same reason a minor cannot buy smokes, or an unlicenced person cannot buy a gun.
  9. *shrug* NFI, might be store policy or something. i know a couple of places that dont have a problem with it so i dont think its illegal....
  10. Even though I feel like a goat on a bridge, I'll answer that. Bike shops will sell larger bikes to riders with restrictions. It's none of the shops business to ask. Besides, it could be intended as a track bike. :wink:
  11. No idea bc I buy private.. no hassles
  12. Yeh no restrictions from VicRoads one what you are allowed to
    register in your name

    If there was, how did VicRoads let me register a 700cc & then a 900cc
    with me Learners? :wink:

    Its because they cant tell you what you can & cant own.
  13. Thanks Guys

    I think the laws are up the shite here in vic!

    Take it easy, Dave.
  14. I don't think I'd be encouraging L platers to be riding a 600 ninja even if it was legal. :wink:
  15. My son had his R1 registered in his name for nearly 6 months before he came off restrictions....... with only 2 weeks to go on his restricted licence he got pulled over on the Monash ...... he hadn't been doing anything wrong, (other than the bigie bike on a littlie licence) the copper had simply done a rego check and found that the bike was registered to a restricted rider so he pulled him over....$110 poorer :cry:
  16. No license suspended?

    One time I've stopped for a cop on my 700cc, pulled out my
    learners thinking I'm a goner. They looked at it; asked when
    I got my license, so I told em, then they let me go :LOL:

    Nuff Nuffs
  17. Until you have an unrestricted license, you are highly unlikely to find an insurer that will insure you for a bike above 260cc
  18. You have to be old enough to hold a learners for that vehicle before you can register it in your name.
  19. The laws are just fine. No law stops you registering any type of bike (that is roadworthy)
  20. I always belived that you can regester any vehacle as long as you are over 17y.o. and 9 months.. no licence or permit needed...

    As to being alowed to actualy use it on public roads or having insurance on the vehacle that is a different metter...