Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Buy stocko standard or fully tricked up

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Azzab, Apr 2, 2012.

1. I have just started making some serious enquiries for Daytona's that are from private sellers. I have called a few but these two grab me the most. I prefer the red but the black one has some good stuff on it.

Would you buy a stocko and pristine condition bike, then spend the money on the bits you want? Or buy one fully tricked and save close to $5k? I don't have much space to work on the bike and virtually no tools. I have my own opinion but would like to hear others in case I haven't thought of anything important :)

http://www.bikesales.com.au/private...604 1430 1429 1626 1428 4294967248 4294962288 (For the record I prefer the red colour).

2. buy modified, has some tasty mods in there
  3. modified for sure, save yourself the coin that you would (potentially) spend on it yourself
  4. Hi,
    For what it's worth I would buy the tricked up one. If you were going to do some/most/all the mods to a standard one you would save a fortune by getting the tricked one. Your choice and a nice position to be in.

Enjoy it what ever you do.

5. Ah, this is a trick question.
  6. I think it depends a lot on what you want to get out of the modifications. For me, there is a lot of enjoyment to be had in the process of organising and installing the modifications - ie creating a machine that I have had some creative control over/personal investment in.
    But for others, the modifications themselves may be the only important ends, and that's fine too. In that case, you might as well save your money by buying a bike that someone else has already jazzed up.
  7. From $$$ point of view buy one with mods will save you crapload of money as you already know. Buying a stock one and doing it up, when its time to eventually sell it the mods will add very little value. So from $$$ point of view its pretty clear...

on the other hand...if you like customing and modding your bike then there is only 1 answer.
  8. Thanks for the feedback guys. I love the idea of modding, but I don't really have the space or tools (read: live in an apartment) to enjoy doing the mods myself so it would end up at the shop a lot.

We do want to buy a house at the end of the year and knowing what I'm like I'll end up diverting the funds to that, so if I buy modified I can get all the stuff I want (pretty much exactly how i would mod it) without having to justify spending all the extra money down the track and feeling guilty hahaha :nopity:
  9. Seems a no brainer to me, and you have answered your own question.

If you bought the red one, although you may like the colour more, you will not be able to mod it due to the house fund, and you will always wonder what the bike could be like with those mods.

I say jump at the Black modded one.
  10. Yeup you're probably right. Guess sometimes you just need to voice it in the open to answer your own shit :)

Going to run the fella now, as long a he's got the receipts and orig bits I'll go out and see it.

Sent from myPhone
  11. If you buy a modified used motorcycle the previous owner will have absorbed a large amount of the depreciation therefore you will get a bargain.

If the bike is still within its warranty period you may need to consider if the OEM will still cover any problems that may arise whether they are related to the modifications or not.

It's all well and good to start fresh with a do-it-yourself approach but given that most peoples idea of a "custom" bike is slip-ons, eliminator and tiny blinkers you'll gain little by spending retail coin on a stock version.

PLEASE ENSURE that you collect ALL OF THE ORIGINAL FACTORY PARTS for future RWC or emission testing.
  12. I'd definitely get the modded one.

It'd be worth asking if he has the original parts too.
    At least for the exhaust and fender eliminator.

Just in case you need to put them back on to get it complianced
  13. Yeah leaning towards the black one too. But for sure would want all the parts and receipts. Only prob is Ive called twice with no answer.
  14. ..... thats what i thought with my vtr.... didnt last long,
    maybe cause its still what someone else wants (even if it is what you want)
  15. you better buy it, coz i want that one too LOL
  16. I'm trying hahaha

Sent from myPhone
  17. It depends on the age. if its getting to be a classic a stock is much more valuable.
  18. You never get your cash back on mods but you always see guys selling stuff with millions of high quality photos and a six page description of how much they love this bike and everything they've done then ask top dollar. Those add sit up there forever, they never sell for what they are asking. I've tried selling like this many times.

I ended up putting my Daytona back to stock when I sold it and took 10,500 and sold the parts for a grand.

Cars and bikes I always "part out" before selling because you never win selling it modded up.

My point is offer the guy with the black one 11-11.5 and youll get it.
  19. Funny you should say that. He text back this morning. Ads been there for ages and it JUST sold on the weekend for.............. $11,700 :( :( :(

Sent from myPhone
  20. nooooooooo!!!