Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Buy now or wait?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by sparz, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Hey,

Ok so i've been watching the bike market for the last 6-8 months. I finally have the money for a upgrade. I noticed the months before winter bikes were getting really cheap. Some examples were:

2003 gsxr600 30,000kms $5000
    2005 cbr600 30,000kms $5000
    2005 zx636 20,000kms $6000

Ok so now with sumer around the corner prices have risen. I keep thinking to myself, will bikes get cheaper around/after christmas time? Should i buy a 2004 gsxr600 k5 (23,000kms) for 6.5k [hopefully haggle close to 6k] or do i wait it out?

I know this is really for me to decide, but do you think more bikes will pop up at cheaper prices at christmas time and is it worth the wait? I've been on a 250cc for the last 17 months so id really love an upgrade
  2. Waiting till Christmas, that's what i do. Btw, the price you mentioned seems too cheap to be honest. Better bring a mechanic with you if you decide to go private in that price.

I believe there will be more bikes in the market and also, it will be easier for you to sell your current one. Another reason is new models will be coming, as a result, the price will drop for second-hand and there will be more choices since people will upgrade, too
  3. If you find something that suits at a reasonable price (and you have the money) why deny yourself the pleasure?

Also consider how much you are likely to save and is that saving worth putting off purchase. EG would you rather pay an extra say $500 now and enjoy it over the summer - I would.

If funds (or you) are really tight though, all those bikes will be another year older come the new year and leading into the winter I imgaine there will be far more sellers than buyers around, if you have the patience to wait you're sure to save some dollars.