Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Buy from Aprilia or Triumph?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by nethern, Mar 24, 2011.

1. I am thinking about buying a bike from either of the brands. But I am not sure with brand is harder to get parts and more expensive to maintain? Any idea?

2. Which particular models?
    Spare part supply usually reflects the numbers of bikes sold. On that basis Triumph should have more stock on hand, but not always. I had a Speed Triple for 7 years and never had a problem getting parts, but I know people who have.

I've also known at least one case of Honda taking months to provide some parts so it can be a bit of a lottery.
  3. How about maintenance cost?

Are parts from Triumph more expensive compared to Japanese brands?
  4. Hubby had a Triumph Trophy which always needed parts from the UK and would take about 6 weeks to arrive. There arent many in this country which probably explains why it was such a long wait, but the bike wasnt that old really (1996).
  5. Most bikes once they get over 10 years old wont have parts in the country, I have been quoted 8 weeks for a VFR stator from Japan.
  6. At the moment, given triumphs popularity with the speed and street triple I would imagine they would have a reasonable supply of parts and you'd have decent access to workshops that are familiar with them to some extent.

What Triumph had to offer though was not enough to talk me out of an Aprilia Shiver - I've also owned a Guzzi and Vespa in the past (all as my daily commute) and not found them to be hard to get parts for or serviced.
  7. The Trophy was a heavy 4 cylinder sports tourer rather than a 3 cylinder relatively light urban sports, Triumph has come a long way from then. My point was that the issue for parts was more about the age of the bike than the manufacturer.

To answer the OPs question I would have thought that the Triumph would be slightly easier to get parts and to maintain simply because they are more common if you are getting a new (under 7 years old) bike. If over that it would be anyones guess which would be better.
  8. As an Aprilia owner, I can confirm that parts supply and availability is something of a nightmare (from now on I'll be ordering all of my parts from a crowd in the US who are much faster and more reliable than the Australian and UK suppliers I've gone through so far).

I can't imagine Triumph would be as bad given their popularity.

Aprilia reliability and services costs are pretty reasonable though, service intervals for the Shiver and Dorsoduro are considerably larger than the Street/Speed Triples from memory (though they're the only bikes I'm particularly familiar with from each brand).
  9. Where did you order from? Reasonable shipping cost?
  10. They're called 'AF1', they also host the best Aprilia-based forum around. Shipping costs are fair, but expensive for small individual items (It's $40 at a minimum). If you're ordering a bit it's not a big deal though.
  11. What particular bikes are you looking at?
  12. Fair question - but please keep in mind that any advice you receive can only be based on past experiences ( good or bad ). Parts supply in the future for any manufacturer can change without notice or apparent cause.

I sell new cars from the USA, Japan, Australia, Korea, India, Thailand, Mexico, Canada, South Africa, Germany, Poland, The Netherlands, Czechoslovakia, Spain, Italy, Belgium, UK, Sweden, Malaysia and some other countries that have slipped my mind. The point is, my customers think of them as "American" or "Japanese" or "European" and some of my brands have a h-u-u-u-g-e reputation. But, that reputation means nothing, it's just that, a reputation, usually baseless.

Just buy whatever turns you on, life is too short to worry about crap that 'might' happen in the future.
  13. ^ good post - I've personally had more trouble with a Suzuki SV650 (eventually taken back by the dealer for a full refund) and nothing with the three Italian marques I've owned.

Its easy to say that a one bike or brand may cause less trouble than another but it is never foolproof.