Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Buy a new bike now of mid next year?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by thrasher, Nov 26, 2007.

  1. Hey all, i'm not really too sure what to do. I got my bike L's earlier this year, and am thinking of booking in for my P's in the next week or two. I would like to buy a bike now but of course only a 250, im thinking once the new laws come in im gonna be stuck. They currently seem to be holding there value, but once people can get bigger bikes do you think they might drop in price?

    I dont wanna pay a fair bit of cash on a 250 and then when it comes time to selling lose out because everyone wants a 600 now.


    p.s my first post, so hi all! I've been watching the forums for yonks, have had some great reads :)
  2. Buy a bike you can ride now and get some experience.
    People will always want 250's so unless you pay way to much you will still get most of it back when you sell it. 250's in LAMS states are still selling.

    A 250 will be more than what most learners can handle. A 600 may be better again but the point is you wont be outriding your 250 for a long time.

    My opinion, you asked for it :LOL:
  3. Also it says this on the Vicroads website:

    Type of motorcycle licence that is issued
    The type of motorcycle licence issued to you (Full or Probationary) will depend on the type of licence (if any) that you already hold.

    if you do not already hold a car licence, you will be issued with a probationary motorcycle licence which is valid for three years.
    if you already have a full car licence, you will be issued with a full motor cycle licence
    if you already have a probationary car licence, you will be issued with a probationary motorcycle licence as well. The probationary period will end at the same time as your probationary car licence.

    Now i have a full car license, and my motorbike L's currently. I rang up StayUpright and i asked if i complete my P's test do i get my full motorbike license and they said no, i need my p's for a year.

    So did Vicroads just word the document wrong?
  4. I think you have misread vicroads somehow.

  5. thats wierd, on this one it states differently ww.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Licensing/GettingYourPs/MotorcycleProbationLicence. htm

    Oh well, 250 it is :(

    Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.
  6. The confusion is this:
    Full car lic = full bike with restrictions to 260cc for 12 months
    Prob car = Prob bike
  7. Just spent $4k on a 250cc, at that price range, your bike will depreciate very very little despite LAMs.
  8. The whole "LAMS makes 250s lose their value" I think to be somewhat overexaggerated. 250s are still the best all round to learn on, especially when you look at what most of the larger LAMS bikes are.

    So buy yourself a bike now, something you can learn to ride on, and will last you till you can upgrade.
  9. I thought about getting a bigger bike straight up but ended up buying a nice 250. The experience on a 250 for those 12 months in invaluable. IMHO, well worth buying the 250 first, even if you are going to sell it after 12 months.