Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Buy a bike against advice from the missus and everyone else?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by goin places, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Got a situation where I think I'm having an early mid-life crisis.

At the age of 29, I've had my learners permit twice before but have let it expire both times after selling my bike to get 'sensible'. My first bike was a Yamaha DT175 and my second was a Honda NSR250.

I'm starting to get an itch again and have a crazy idea (so I'm told) to buy another bike, probably something like a KLR650 or DR650 to do long road trips away for multiple nights (maybe weeks!).

This idea is not being met well by the missus or family, particularly as we have saved a house deposit and are planning to to purchase our first piece of real estate soon. The bike would really only be a toy.

So out to you netriders - what should I do?

2. I think the fact that you're asking this question... here. means you already know what you're going to do hahaha

3. If you don't do what you want now, what do you think your chances of doing anything will be like in five years time?

(tip: it doesn't get easier.)

But don't spend the house deposit. Get the money from somewhere else.

• Like Like x 2
  4. 29? Midlife? Sheesh!

You'll do what you want, but how much will it harm your relationship? How important is that for you? As someone else said, don,t use your house money, that'd be dangerous.

Only you know what's right for you.

Cheers
    JM

5. As much as i am all for living the dream the fact that your planning to buy a house soon should be the priority.

If it isnt the priority, but what YOU want is, then id re-think this whole house thing.

The money should be going towards the deposit.

IMO

6. buy a house,
    bikes will always come and go, but houses, are homes.
    far more important to put the riding off for the moment

and this is coming from a guy where my bike's take priority over everything else. i literally eat, sleep, ride

7. This is when [MENTION=34591]Big W[/MENTION]'s signature is entirely appropriate:

8. Get the bike.
    Don't spend your deposit (we're saving ours too), but get the bike.
    If you don't do it now, you'll regret it.

9. Bikes are cheap. Getting one now won't make that much of a difference to saving for a house in the long run - and better to be able to look back in 10 years time on all the riding you did do, than think about the riding you could have done. :)

10. If your buying my house , don`t blow the money. I need it to ride around Aus for a little bit

I could throw in the trixxer to sweeten the deal

11. Hmmm... Both are important aspects of life. Good thing is bikes are far far cheaper than Ferraris.

If money is a factor, get a cheap second hand bike, get your dream home and save money by doing other things as taking lunch from home for a few months, cutting out a cup of coffee, drink less beer etc etc.

You could also package the bike within the home loan if you wanted.

Just do it. :)

12. Use the money on a house, houses can make you money bikes don't. You could always withdraw from the house to fund the bike after if you have to.

13. Can you angle it as a transport necessity? We own one bike and one car and it works perfectly. If you only own one car between you then you can say you need it to get places when she has the car. If you have 2 cars and you don't do any work that necessitates the car I would consider selling the car and getting the bike because a bike beats the shit out of a car for commuting.

Ignore this of you need your car for work.

14. Always time your mid life crises when you're still young enough to enjoy them.

But even more seriously, get some mileage out of it.

"Honey I'm going to put my dream on hold and put this money into the house deposit. But once we're into the house and we've saved a little bit back, I'm going to buy that Tiger Explorer and you're going to be happy for me, right? RIGHT?"

• Like Like x 1
  15. You should sacrifice your yearnings and passion to buy a house.

Then when you are older you own a house.

Then you die, a sad lump of nothing resembling passion, watering the lawn, bullshitting yourself about what 'really matters' - mediocre values that rationalise the fact that you missed out and traded your dreams to placate others (remember, next time you try again for a bike, the house will need renovating, or she will need more cash in the divorce settlement).

Then somebody else buys the house that you paid off, and starts the bullshit all over again.

While "mid life crisis" sounds silly it's actually very apt for describing this situation, OP-whom-death-stares-in-the-face. Listen to what the crisis is telling you. There are many middle-aged and elderly men who wished that they had.

My wife and I are saving. Due to working the professions we love, our incomes are quite low. And we're looking to have a kid soon. And we live in expensive Melbourne of all places. She insisted I get the dream bike first so it's already there in the drive way when times get tough.

Spend $4k on a used, late model DR650 and secure yourself that island that your soul yearns to inhabit!

oi954j.

• Like Like x 6
  16. If finances are tight, by that I mean if you can't spare $2500 to $5000 from the family budget without risking your deposit, then I'd be more worried about being able to afford a mortgage than whether I can afford a bike.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Absolutely agree with this, except he would also need to factor in insurance, repairs, rego so another $1k per annum at a minimum.

I'd be looking at what is different now to the other 2 times you gave up on riding. Do you now have heaps more free time and are just bored. If this is the case, get a second job, save up and then spend that money on the bike.

I'm a firm believer in getting the important things sorted first. Look at what you are currently paying in rent, and see what the mortgage would be for equivalent repayments. You are going to have more expenses in owning a property so need to budget for these as well.

I assisted my son with his apartment 5 years back when he was just 20. Basically worked out what he would be paying if he moved out of home, used that as a base for his share of the mortgage. He then selected the area he wanted to buy, then we only looked at apartments that were within his budget. I had a few basic requirements, the bathroom had to be separate and not accessed through the bedroom & it had to have a car space (inner city so essential) so that it would be easy to sell later. He was an apprentice at the time, 5 years later required mortgage repayments are actually lower with the drop in interest rates, but we have increased the repayments in line with his pay increases, so on current rates the mortgage will be paid off nearly 9 years early.

He looks at some of the guys he went to school with and very few of them own anything and are still living at home. He made a few sacrifices at the time, but thinks it was the best decision he ever made. Now he can afford to bling up his car and do things and be comfortable in the knowledge he has a roof over his head, and no one can take that away from him.

18. I'm with smileedude, get a sensible, cheap, second-hand bike instead of a second car. They are still fun to use and you are saving money from the family budget. That is how my family transport is arranged.

Maybe you can't be surprised at your family and friends being sceptical if you already bought bikes twice in the past, so make sure you'll stick with it this time.

19. Twice you have bought a bike and twice you have let your learners expire and sold the bikes again? Are you sure you are into this? Why do you think it's going to have a different ending this time?

Even though a lot of people say that you save loads of money by having a bike... it is more than just the costs of buying the bike that's involved. If you happen to actually ride it (and not let it sit in the shed because you've lost interest) there ARE parts that require your attention and need to be replaced. Especially when you say the bike would be 'really only a toy', you should know that bikes are expensive toys.

In the end you need to set your priorities. If you can afford to have everything (house, wife AND bike), then go for it. If you need to make compromises, think them through before signing anything... There's more important things than having a 'toy' in the shed because you believe you are having your midlife crisis.

20. general belief here is ....buy a house...then sell your ass on the side to get a bike.

• Like Like x 1