Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Button and Lowndes takes on Mount Panorama Bathurst in an F1 car

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by AznCruiser, Mar 23, 2011.

Craig Lowndes and 2009 Formula One champion Jenson Button have taken a McLaren Mercedes F1 car for a spin around Bathurst's Mount Panorama circuit.

Five-times Bathurst winner Lowndes smashed his own V8 track record by more than 15 seconds behind the wheel of the McLaren, but was a full second slower than Button's best.

Button became the first to take on the difficult track in an F1 car - with Lowndes following soon after.

2. Would have loved to be up there with my camera, that helicopter shot is awesome!!
  3. Smashed the track record by 18 seconds, I see Button coming to v8's 1 day, he loves it
  4. Its a shame its not an F1 standard track
  5. Whats surprising to me is Lowndes being a second adrift of Button. Ive always thought learning the track is far easier than learning how to drive a whole new machine especially a tempermental beast like an F1 car.
  6. I think Lowdnes' time is more a reflection of Button taking it easy than anything else

Plus I think Button said he only had a couple of laps, while Craig said he had five
  7. #7 Dazzler, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  8. I find it odd that they only gave Button 2 laps to do it in. Considering his lack of track knowledge he would have had to have been going easy by race standards.

9. Button says that a 1:40 is possible while Lownds say a 1:30 is definately possible :p

I think Button had 5 laps in a V8 and 2 in the F1 while Craig had 5 in F1 and 2 in V8. Most of these top drivers can learn a track far faster than learning a totally new car.

This is the same with riders. If they know how to drive a certain type of bike they can usually ride faster on a foreign road compared to a small capacity cruiser rider on a high powered 1000cc sports bike.