Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

But they did'nt see me - rant!

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by raven, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Why the bloody hell are so many riders lately, getting all worked up because a driver did'nt see them..This is NOT a new phenomenon, and never likely to change for various and obvious reasons!

Sure...if more drivers kept a better eye out, it would help...and while many endevour to, they can still miss spotting you. Surely that's not too diffucalt a concept to grasp?

When you get your licence and hit the streets, you have to except that sometimes you are NOT going to be spotted. FFS...either accept it or hang up your gloves and shut up.
    The number of riders on here saying how they take mirrors off, throw abuse, wave there arms around, and otherwise have a hissy-fit about it, has become...well...frankly...bloody embarassing!

There are circumstances where I can understand words need to be exchanged, things pointed out etc...but cheesus in many many cases, it's far smarter if having avoided the situation, you just continue to ride with your mind in the right place.

I get cut off, moved over on, and otherwise disregarded when I'm driving a bloody car...and if some of those times are out of clear stupidity, what makes you so surprised when it happens to you on a bike!!?

Learn to get past this kind of bullshit mentality some riders seemed to have developed and keep your head in the game - where it should be.
    If someone does'nt see you, then they don't see you, and if they don't see you, they won't avoid you - it's pretty simple really. Do what you have to do to keep yourself out of harms way, and MOVE ON!...for your own sake...

2. You know how much I hate to agree with you Raven, but yeah.

Dealing with cagers is all part of the game. I mean it would be nice, really nice, if I didn't have to think for all of them all the time, but I'm not going to let some stupid sod get to me and ruin my day.
  3. Totally agree.
    Well said :biker:
  4. What would we whine about then? Besides suids, speed cameras, unfair cops . . ..
  5. hey raven, i agree with you to a point. i think what people fail to understand and people.... correct me if im wrong, but when your a noob (and im no expert) you find bikes everywere on the road, but think back to a year or two before you got your crotch rocket....

be honest, you NEVER noticed bikes on the road??? am i right? :idea:

its like when you buy a car, you never relise how many of the same make and model are around till you get one.

but some driver are just F*^% heads and shouldnt be behind the wheel. but your right, there always gonna be there.

people say here all the time "assume no one can drive" and always be mindful of your road position, if a cager is next to you and you think he might merge, twist the throttle a little so he can see you.

yer it might be a pain in the ass sometimes, but if it saves your life?????
  6. I would also point out that as a noob you can get a fright pretty easily even if there is no real problem.
  7. I've got to agree with this. I got used to it really quickly on the motorbike - I guess I got used to it riding a pushbike for the best part of two years as my main form of transport (I should really start doing it again).

I just beep the horn now to let them now they cut me off, no aggression or anger.
  8. Agree with you entirely, Raven. (But is anyone surprised? :LOL: )

One particular gripe I have is that I've observed a few riders appear to have an alarming "SMIDSY" encounter rate. Even more alarming is that they appear to think that this near-miss rate is normal for all motorcyclists.

Doesn't a near-miss frequency that high set off alarmbells in their head and make them wonder if something about their riding style might be a factor?

Even more alarming is that they tell new riders that having at least one or two near misses on every single ride is 'normal' and that there's nothing the noob can do about it, and all cagers are f***heads who want nothing more than to smear their motorcycle all over their SUV.

These riders use nothing but negative and non-constructive language rather than telling new riders the benefits of good roadcraft, lane positioning, etc.

Or am I the odd one out, still able to count my near-misses on two hands after 60,000+km of riding? :-k Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Anyhow, rant over. :p
  9. Yea, before I decided to get a bike I didnt really notice bikes here except when I was back in Thailand where scooters are pretty much everywhere so you notice them no matter what you do.

The other thing is I always think I'm invisible on the road. So any car that pulls out from a side street or going to change lanes I make sure they see me and even I know they've seen me theres still a good chance they'll still cut you off.

I used to get angry at all the cagers trucks or what ever cut me off but at the end I just thought if I can avoid it it then there's really no need to get upset about it. Just handle it at the time and go separate ways.
  10. Agree...

I was in the CBD today coming home from an exam at Uni and this taxi started merging. I slowed right down to let it in... then horned him. He looked over his shadow and then jsut turned back. I then proceeded to pull next to him to talk to him... even the passenger at the back (loooking at me).. the Cabbie just pretended I weren't there. Even with me speaking pretty loud and horning.

What a fag! :roll:
  11. Similar happened to me, taxi driver pulling out of a drive way. He's looking at me, I'm looking at him, then with 20m to go, he pulls out into my lane. He definitely knew I was displeased shortly after.

That was some time ago... these days, it's mostly water off a ducks back.
  12. ok....lets not talk about the above topic again.

*cricket calls*
  13. Yeah, well I can top all of ya's.

Was riding down the street near home, and I see this car slowly starting to back out of the driveway. As usual, gently touch the front brakes in preparation, making no assumptions that this person is going to stop.

Get closer, and sure as heck, the car just backs straight out without any regard for me. Bloody typical I thought. Hit the brakes and come to a stop calmly. Another SMIDSY avoided.

Or was it?

The car rolls out further and as I glare at where the driver should be: the driver wasn't. The car had in fact rolled downhill out of the driveway on its own 'cos the numpty whose car it was had forgotten to put the handbrake on. Car rolls across the road, bumps off the guttering, and the rolls back across the road again, half way up numpty's driveway, then back onto the road again.

Get off, knock on the door of the house. A rather annoyed looking man opens the door, then looks a bit worried at the helmeted guy in front of him, and then says "Where's my car?!". I point him in the direction of his car out on the street where it's still slowly rocking backwards and forwards.

Moral of the story. Treat every single scenario as if the driver hasn't seen you at all, 'cos who knows, there may actually not even be a conscious driver, or even a driver at the wheel at all!

NEVER assume that another vehicle will do the right thing by you. NEVER! Follow that one simple rule, and ride accordingly, and you'll not likely have another "close call" ever again. At the end of the day, a rider must always accept some responsibility to avoid their part in a potential accident. Extremely few incidents will occur if the rider is paying enough attention and rides according to the real risks around them.

14. yeah but that wasn't a SMISDY it was a ISYBDGAFYMS ( I see you but don't give a fcuk you motorcyclist scum)... :evil:
  15. Raven, thank you. I was thinking this today at reading another thread about how bad cagers drive. Everyone was jumping on the collective bandwagon and just assumed the driver was in the wrong. I mean, we ride, we are therefore perfect, aren't we?
  16. I know I am, thats why they should all get ouuta my way...
  17. We do, but that's just to avoid the chaos around you!
  18. You could tell his sexual orientation because he decided to ignore you?
    But then again you were horning so anything is possible. :shock:
  19. I'm with you there, often wonder at the same thing. While factors like your ride routes etc come into play, at a certain point the rider needs to take responsibility for the fact they're having so many 'moments'. I see stupid stuff on the road all the time (and the ones that scare me the most are other motorcyclists, these days I get nervous doing sharp right-handers on a weekend in the hills), but there's a lot you can do to minimise the frequency of near misses before they become near, if not, you need to think about this more.

Good OP / thread, thanks.