Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Buster Keaton etc...

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by Mr Flibble, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Just wondering if there are any silent movie buffs out there?

Or to those who haven't seen any, do yourself a favour and beg, borrow or download a few of Buster's at least. Don't watch them to be dazzled by special effects (The hand drawn lightning bolt in 'The General' for example) - but watch for the slapstick, the genuinely funny visual comedy and most of all remember that Buster did ALL of his own stunts.

Just a few of my favourites:

Buster Keaton - 'Our Hospitality' (1923), 'One Week' (1921), 'The General' (1927), Cops (1922), The Cameraman (1928)

Charlie Chaplin - 'The Kid' (1921), 'The Goldrush' (1925), 'Modern Times' (1936)

Harold Lloyd - 'Safety Last' (1923)

If anyone can recommend a silent era (or early talkie) in a similar vein I'd be interested to hear of it.

Cheers

2. Almost any early Laurel and Hardy. Their last few efforts weren't terribly good though.

And, if you enjoy silent comedy, you mighty like to see some of Jaques Tati's work. It's later (post WW2) and not, technically, silent but the humour is very visual and very funny.

3. G'day PatB,

Ah yes, how could I not mention Stan and Ollie!

I've got a few of theirs, I'll have to dig a bit deeper and get some more.

Thanks for reminding me of Jaques Tati - I saw Mon Uncle years ago, I'll look into his other work as well.

Cheers

4. Looooooove Modern Times!

Paulette Goddard was a goddess. :grin:

5. I've seen part of the general. Loved it. sadly i havn't found it anywhere since. Laurel and Hardy the car wreckers/house wreckers was just brilliant

While not silent, abbot and costello are equally as excellent. some of their stuff can bring tears. Marx brothers are also quite funny, and while they can get boring when harpo is doing his thing, it is definitely worth listening to.

6. Lilley,

You'll find 'The General' and many others available to d\l (quite legally) here:

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=buster keaton

Unfortunately the site doesn't have 'Our Hospitality' which is a very funny film with some huge stunts and the strangest train ride you'll ever see.

PM me if you want a copy - but I'll be away 'till just after Xmas...

Cheers