Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Busted reset button in Kawasaki ER6n

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Geoffo, May 28, 2012.

1. Hey guys,

It's been a while since I've ventured into Netrider, feels good to be back.
    I have a 2007 Kawasaki ER6n, I adore her and go on a regular (annual) ride with my good mate Steve. Earlier this year we did a trip from Sydney to Tassie and back (over on the Spirit of Tasmania) and we had an absolute blast!

Anyway - the reset button on my odometer/speedo is busted, i.e - u can push it in but it just doesn't reset the numbers etc. I took it to my reliable mechanic and he said that it was something very difficult to fix, and that a new instrument panel is what is probably needed if I wanted to 'fix' it!? At approx $600 I thought this was a bit rough.

Just wondering if anyone out there knew of anywhere in Sydney that may be able to fix this? I rely on it quite a bit to reset when I fuel up etc and for trip history etc. I know it's not the end of the world that it's not working but I'd really like to get it fixed.

Thanks in advance!

Geoff.

2. I don't know about fixing it... but for replacing the panel, have you try going to a wrecker?

3. When you say "you press it and nothing happens" do you feel the pressel switch click? Or does it feel like the rubber has nothing under it?

4. Haven't tried a wrecker as yet. Can anyone recommend a good one? The only problem with a wrecker and replacing the whole unit is that it will either a) reset my odo or b) I'm stuck with the km's of the (wrecked) unit.

When I press it in, it doesn't feel any different at all.

5. Bugger....must be in the contact on the PCB.......I think you might be cactus mate....

6. These switches are usually membrane switches with carbon blocks. Wear will make them intermittent, also build up of gunk can also make them not work. Depending on how confident you are you can try disassembling the instrument cluster and cleaning the contact pads. This may work for a while, but if it is worn will stop working again after a while.

Second option is to mount a replacement switch somewhere else and run some wires directly to the circuit board. Solder the wires on both side of the contact pads.

If you don't feel confident or want a better job then one of the Netrider advertisers (http://carmoelectronics.com.au/) does this work but they are in WA so you would need to ship them the instrument cluster.

7. Thanks for your replies guys. Unforunately I'm not too keen or confident to disassemble the insturmnet cluster and I'd be even more reluctant to take it off/send it to WA. I use my bike on a daily basis for commuting to work. :(

If anyone knows of a mob in Sydney that might be able to help out I'd be grateful .

Cheers.

8.  Top
  9. You could replace it with a cheap Ebay bicycle speedo for a few weeks.