Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Busted - Lanesplitting

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Dazza, May 24, 2005.

1. Yep i was busted by a nice policeman this morning for lanesplitting down the Monash Carpark. :oops: :oops: :oops:

He asked for my reason and well i could not say

1) Coz I can

2) Coz the cars are parked

3) Coz I can

So I said no reason :shock: :oops: :oops: :oops:

He was on a BMW unmarked bike, silver 1200.

He was nice coz he let me off on the baldish tyre and not having my current rego displayed. I have always been meaning to put the current rego on but have never got around to it in the last 2 years :shock: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

He said he would post the infringement notice. Forgot to ask what the damage was. He did tell me the rego infringement would have been $160 and the defect notice on the tyre would have been $60. So I am happy.

Well I am lighter in the hip pocket, have not been bothered by a copper for years Oh well live and learn.

He did tell me HOW to navigate the traffic in the future so I don't cop a fine :D

Cheers 8)
  2. what was the offence you were cited for? what was the advice he gave you - wait your turn? :LOL:
  3. well don't be shy tell us! :)
  4. share share share
  5. Please do tell... I was under the misguided belief that Lane Splitting (or Filtering) was legal in Victoria??? :?
  6. ditto.
  7. AFAIK it's legal as long as you don't pass moving traffic on the left and you indicate when you change lanes.

I'm guessing Dazza got bitten by one of those two...probably the first because the Monash is usually kinda moving.
  8. It is, provided it's done properly. I'd guess that Dazza wasn't :) As he said "He did tell me HOW to navigate the traffic in the future so I don't cop a fine"
  9. I am still waiting for Dazza to quote the kind policemans words on how to navigate the traffic correctly. As I think a lot of us are.

Cmon dazza out with it.
  10. Don't pull a mono? :D
  11. isn't "mono" that kissing disease that Ritchie got on Happy Days once ???
  12. Folks its no big deal. You ALL know it antway. Sorry to tell you how to suck eggs coz each and everyone of you know how to do it....................

Also I was not BOOKED for lane splitting. That was his terminology. He did mention the correct terminology for what I was being booked for. Mouth knows it, I have seen him post it (I think). It was something like reckless driving (umm no that was not it), Oh fugg it I can't remember. Oh well if someone says it I will no it :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Anyway the NO BIG SECRET is . . . . . . . .

Simply change lanes. Don't do what I did and purely split the cars. Do it in a zig zag manner with indicating. He said they have been getting alot of complaints and were patrolling the area.

He also said that I can't overtake on the left of a car (as has been mentioned here many times).

As I said WE ALL knew the answer, its what you do with it I suppose.

Cheers 8)

P.S. since I forgot to ask him how much it was going to cost me, anyone got an idea for a minor infringement.
  13. Spot On

Cheers 8)
  14. The $64 question...Is it safer to do the "legal"
    thing and zig zag using the indicators or stay on the line and devote full attention to the traffic. Most of the low speed splitting is going between 2 cars as apposed to zigging in front of one on the left then zagging in front of the one on the right!
    Sounds to me that another button should be rigged up to randomly flick the indicators left and right when splitting!!

My personal favourite that a lot of cagers do, park or drive wherever you like by putting on the hazards!
  15. Zig Zagging is probably safer because it causes your headlight to move around (duh) it sould then attract the attention of the bloke shaving, the lady applying haemorrhoid cream to her eyes, etc, etc.....

Of course the above is simply my theory :)
  16. dazza/other folk,

can you clarify what a 'zig zag' fashion is? when I'm lanesplitting, I'm trying to keep a pretty straight line so I don't clip mirrors, are we talking some kind of a mini slalom?
  17. :shock: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Cheers 8)
  18. I was gonna suggest that... i had a joke when i was learning to drive (long time ago now.. :p ) that whenever i was going to do something stupid, reckless, or generally daft i'd put my hazard lights on. Ie. Warning everyone that i'm a hazard. :D

So it'd just be as easy as rigging up a relay to feed both blinkers and then pushing a button labeled "Stupid stuff Ahoy!" I wonder if there's any legislation to state you CAN'T use both indicators at the same time whilst lanesplitting...
    "no officer, i was indicating to change lanes. Didn't you see me?"
  19. When the cars are moving I use the indicators and swap between lanes in this fashion, as spots open up in front of and behind cars as they move, thus giving you room to change lanes legally.

When the traffic is stationary, however, I just try and slide along the right-hand side of the lane with the indicator on, and only cross over the line if I can't possibly avoid it. Getting done while splitting stationary traffic would be pretty unlikely tho, IMO.
  20. Even unlikely, i still religiously look in my mirrors to check for BM's before jumping between the lanes. ;)