Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Busted Knee

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by MitchRohr, May 20, 2009.

1. So last Saturday started pretty much as usual. Wake up, pack my shit up and get on the bus to pay footy. I play for Newy Uni and we were on our way to play Sydney Uni.

Three quarters of the way through the game, I chase down a guy on the other team who makes a break, go in to make the tackle and at the last second realise that one of my teammates is coming in at an awkward angle. Long story short, we all go toppling over, I feel a ton of pressure on my right leg, then 3 loud (and i mean LOUD) cracks ring out and im suddenly lying on the ground screaming in pain, looking at the hole where my knee used to be and wondering how i can see the back of my knee.

So the ambo comes, gives me the green whistle and a ton of morphine to stop the pain, whisks me away to St. Vinnies (only 5 min away), where about six doctors do a lot of umming and ahhing before they inject some white milky fluid into myself and I promptly pass out.

I wake up, and stare down to see my leg wrapped in a plaster cast from my groin to my toes, and still pretty woozy after all of the drugs. I won't bore you with any more details, but when the Doctor had a look at the many different scans, he pretty much concluded with this:

He said, and I quote 'it's like a bomb went off in there mate'.

To say this blows would be an incredible understatement. They are gonna replace the ligaments with synthetic ones, and do something with the cartilage to make it all better.

Surgery is on tuesday, then 5 more days in the hospital and then 6 to 8 weeks in rehab learning how to do what most of the world's four year olds already know. This couldn't have come at a worse time; im due to go to Bali at the end of June and I get my bike licence back in 2 weeks. But, it could be worse. The guy who got shot in King's Cross over the weekend was 2 beds over from me, and I felt rather inadequate with my (albeit rather painful) wonky knee.

So don't take for granted being able to get up and go to the loo at will, or not having to inject yourself twice a day with anti-coagulants because of the blood clots in your leg. I know I sure won't in the future.

2. so was he the fat wog or the skinny wog :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

bummer about the knee mate, better looking down and seeing plaster on your leg than looking down and seeing no leg
  3. Wow, you really made a mess of it, dincha?

I can symapthise, although my fairly straightforward ACL reco seems pretty tame in comparison.

Looks like a lot of NR, DVDs, mags etc etc etc for you coming up. That was the hardest bit for me, the period when you are stuck in bed.

My best advise is to make sure you do a really proper rehab - get back on your feet and walking, but then keep working to get running and enough strength back in it to play footy again, even if you don't want to. I skimped on this - I was more interested in getting drunk and laid (first year of uni/living at college) than going to the physio, and my knee still gives me trouble nearly 10 years later.

It blows big-time, but it's not a death sentence by any means. Use the excess of time you will have on your hands productively - learn an instrument, do a correspondence course, teach yourself something etc, and get yourself better and back on a bike as soon as you can.

Thoughts are with you mate.
  4. So why doesn't the government introduce stiff penalties for people playing Rugby, obviously it's very dangerous, especially at the speed it's played today :LOL:

{Bit of irony there, folks, in case it needs explanation; don't follow this up and go off topic in Off Topic!!}

I winced reading this :shock:. I hope the docs and folks do a great job on you, mate, and as DarkHorse says, don't hurry the rehab, do it properly and get it right.
  5. That looks very nasty. Knees can be painful and slow to heal so don't rush through it. As hornet said - take it carefully and do the rehab properly.

At least you'll get some sympathy from the medical staff - if it was a motorcycle accident half of them would be telling you it's your own fault. :evil:
  6. Best of luck mate. I know what you mean when you talk about not taking going to the loo etc for granted. I smashed up my foot/ankle around 18 months ago so understand what you're going though.

chin up :)
  7. More importantly....did you win the game????
  8. I feel your pain. I have a busted knee too, but its nowhere as busted as yours
  9. Nevermind toilet/shower issues...Try havin' your leg in plaster like that...and having CHICKEN POX at the same time! :evil:

My knee sockets weren't formed properly when I was born so I had ops on both my knees, one when I was 10, the other 11. Ligaments loosened on one side, tightened on the other, bones pinned yadda yadda yadda.

So I can understand how you feel.

And everyone says it, and no one listens, but from experience, and the fact that to this day they're STILL weak....DO the rehab, and KEEP doing it. Even when you don't have to go to the hospital.
  10. Hmmm I know how you feel, I've had 23 knee operations, going in for another one next month, they'll take the rod out of my Tibia at the same time.

About 4 years ago I had my knee joints replaced with titaniun & plastic joints (both of them), it gave better joint movement and helped my roadracing.

But I am too active so the doc says, he says they will have to try and do a complete replacement again sometime in the near future.
  11. Knew this would be about the ACL and PCL at the least, then you said you heard the popping noise and yup.

Friend recently went through the operation, don't know if they replaced his but he is walking now around 3-4 months on.

Take it easy and follow physio's advice etc. Best of luck mate.
  12. Be very, very careful about *which* physio you go to. Don't be afraid of getting a second opinion - from a different practice.

can't stress that enough.

good luck with it all :|
  13. I know your pain. I've had 2 complete knee recos. 1 was to replace the ACL which I completely tore and the MCL that I just tore but hanging by a thread. I then had a second reco on the same knee to completely remove the meniscus, so yeah, you could say my knee is rooted too.

On the upside, I was so bored at home, not being able to move and all, that I watched the whole series of 24 in one hit. Then I got bored again...
  15. Thanks for the replies guys, I'll get the gnarly pics of before/after surgery up soon I promise! The days before surgery on Tuesday are going quickly (painkillers help, though starting to get worried that I may suffer from withdrawals cause I've been on them for so long). Getting used to injecting myself too, which is good. Youtube is my friend. Also my mate's external hard drive full of movies and songs I haven't heard in ages. I also sent my gf out to buy this for herself with my coin as a bit of a thanks for loking after me. She said she was gonna save up for it and i figured well, in the normal circumstances I would just buy it for her but obviously I can't do that so I did the next best thing.

16. You can buy online through the website - no idea on shipping times/costs but the option is there. Glad you've got someone looking after you, can make a huge difference. Be careful to keep her happy though - your frustration in coming months will be tough on her too!

Sad to hear a perfectly good 675 will be gathering dust too!