Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Busted front wheel bearings??

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Lectre, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Hey all.
    Lately when I've been riding there seems to be a regular clicking noise/sensation coming from the front end of my bike.. Initially I thought it was a rock or glass caught in my wheel, but I thoroughly checked this and could find nothing... Likewise there doesn't seem to be any crap hanging off, or in the calipers on the front either. The clicking doesn't always happen, but it's getting more regular. It does it while in gear and when in neutral. So from this am I right in assuming (or guessing!) that one of my front wheel bearings has busted? I'd like to have a clear picture in my head before heading off to the bike shop.
    Thanks for opinions everyone :)

2. Perhaps not to do with the wheel bearings, but perhaps the speedo drive cable, or even the speedodrive gear on the front axle ?
    Does it change/start/stop when you, gently, touch the front brake?
    Can you get the front wheel off the ground and give it a spin?
    Just a few thoughts.

3. Thanks for response Grey :)
    I can't imagine how I could get the front wheel off the ground (besides perhaps getting someone to sit on the rear of the bike while the center stand is down) but I do think that it seems to "activate" when I tap the front brake, although disengaging the brake doesn't seem to make it stop.
    I hope I'm not looking at an expensive fix!!