Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Businesses & Receipt Keeping

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by taiheung, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Hi guys,

I was just curious - what is the deal with businesses and receipt keeping? I ask because I lost the log books of my old bike and apparently the mechanic that I have been dealing with does not keep his own copies. I have been told I need to have the record of service. I understand that many businesses want you to bring in a receipt but I thought this was to prove ownership - rather than the fact a transaction actually took place.

In the case of having a vehicle serviced if I am able to check my banking details to find a date that they charged me for the service, would they not have that service somewhere on their records?

I'm stuck as I need to rebuild a lost warranty booklet for the friend who bought it.

Cheers guys.
  2. They should have a record of your numberplate for each time it went in. The places i go to keep records of everything.

IMO If your guy doesn't keep any records of any servicing they are either completely clueless or dodgy.
  3. They should keep some basic records, mind you I know of a few small time operators who don't bother to keep it, just to much work for a small 1 or 2 man workshop, or some do keep it, but they don't give it out for fear of legal repercussions.

But legally it is on the consumers head to maintain all receipts and paperwork.

I used manage the service dept for a large Company who looked after warranty for a large number of electronics manufacturers, no receipt, no warranty.
    They used to go crying to consumer affairs, and consumer affairs used to advise the same thing.

A lot of companies now keep those record out of courtesy for there customers and stop a lot of fights and bad feedback from customers.

But if he has not got copies of the paperwork, then I hate to say it, you are legally on your own.