Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW "Bus Only" lanes

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by dewy, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Okay, I had a quick search with no luck.

So I have been riding for around two years now, having only moved to sydney I am enjoying riding in bus lanes, however I am wondering, what/if any difference there is between a bus lane and a bus only lane? Can a motorcycle use both, or just a bus lane?

Also Transit lanes, bikes are allowed in T2, what about T3?

2. bus lanes we can use, bus only we cannot, i am fairly sure we can use transit lanes as well

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bus transit lanes, no, T2 and T3 yes

4. bus only means ONLY buses.

bus lanes = buses, motorcycles, taxi's and hire cars.

T2 and T3 lanes = any vehicle with more than 2 or 3 people, and motorcycles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. So I've done some searches & cannot seem to cone up with the answer. So lets say your legally riding in a bus lane & unfortunately get stopped at a red, if you are the first at the lights & get the magic B light does that mean you can go or is it for busses only??? Happened to me last week, I didn't know what to do so I rolled out of the way & let the bus behind me go...

6. If you look at the lane at the front of lights with the B signal they are "bus only" not "bus lane". This means you can't ride in it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. This is correct. Then there are certain bus lanes which, by virtue of the added restrictions [eg. taxi + bicycles only], motorcycles cannot use. One example is the bus lane on Park Street, Sydney east-bound [near Woolworths Town Hall].

This one's an interesting anomaly. It used to be marked BUS ONLY, but has since been re-painted as BUS LANE. However, the B signal is still there, and can be activated by a motorcycle.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Not allowed, this is the exception making it legal for buses.

Note 4
    The driver of a tram or a public bus does not have to stop at traffic lights showing a red traffic light if a white T light (for trams) or a white B light (for public buses) is also showing,
    http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/sa/consol_reg/arr210/s56.html

9. There are a bunch of these scenarios on the beaches. Thanks for the heads up though

10. Resurrecting an old thread...

Just FYI, I've got done riding on Bus only lane in Sydney Padstow area (between Stacy st and Fairford rd) previously, cost me $300+ and 1 demerit points.
    Turns out cops was always around the area, got pulled over 3 times, only got fined the once (lucky?)

I've also sent a letter to RTA stating that the Bus Only lane was not clear in the RTA website, but got rejected.... :(

11. It's pretty clear to me on the RMS website.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. If you think it was not clearly marked, get legal advise.

[at the lane that is] The RMS website will likely have little influence.

13. Canterbury Rd flyover. Very clearly marked.

14. ahh, yes I know it. Yes it's pretty well marked. Not much hope there.

15. You got warned about it twice - yeah that's quite lucky. Only got fined once. So, really you've only got a 1 in 3 chance of getting done. You really should use the bus only lane twice more to get maximum result for the penalty.