Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Burnt clutch from P's test practise?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by stazed, Aug 21, 2008.

1. A quick question for those in the know..

I am a fully licensed rider and I own a GPX250. Two months ago my girlfriend bought the bike off me, when she got her Ls. The day before she took the bike, I had brand new clutch plates fitted, as the old ones had been slipping for as long as I had owned the bike.

Fast forward two months to today, and the clutch has become almost unusable. I have taken the bike back to the shop, they've said that the clutch plates are burned out and it was low on oil in the assembly as well.

The only stress that the bike has been under in that time was three 2-hour sessions where my girlfriend was practising mock-ups of the NSW MOST test. I am struggling to accept that this could have been enough to destroy a brand new clutch, as I spent over 7 hours riding the clutch on my own Ps day plus multiple practise sessions over a year ago and nothing deteriorated. The shop has seen the L plate on the rear and is convinced that's the cause of the problem.

But I would like some considered opinions on the matter.

2. The easiest way is to ring the testing centers and see how long their bike part (in this case - clutch) lasts before they usually need replacing.
    Those bikes go through hell day after day.
  3. Thank you for that tip, great thinking!

I rang StayUpright and had a chat.
    Apparently you can slip the clutch day in/day out, as long as the rpm is low because that keeps the heat down. (i.e. 3-4k)

That might answer the question...
  4. probably due to incorrect installation of the plates, the wrong oil used, not enough oil, or all of the above.
  5. yep ^^^^ 2nd

Or, even possibly something as simple as freeplay adjustment