Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bumped a Mirror.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by ralph, Aug 1, 2010.

1. So how much of a tool did I feel like! Flittering, to the front, at slower then walking pass, i nudged a mirror of a little Astra. First time in 3 years of ridding - I felt like a complete twit. The space was smaller then i thought, and was paying too much to the car on my left as flittering through. Knock. break lever into mirror.

No damage, I looked, moved in front on him, and put my hand out to say sorry - he checked and waved back as if to say ok.

So I felt like a bit tool. Is this part of filltering that happens occasionally ??What do you do when you bump a mirror ??

Hopefully first time, and last time I do that!

2. Been riding for about 2 years and I haven't done it yet. :eek:hno:

Not looking forward to when I do - but then again I'm really careful about making sure I have enough room.

Be pretty embarrassing. I'd probably take my cue from the driver, if they wanted a chat about it.
  3. In my humble opinion, if you managed to bump a mirror then you should not have been filtering at that point, lucky it was only a bump rather than a break.
    Score one for the cagers arguments regarding bikes..

Oh and...

No I'm kidding. Once in 3 years isn't horrible. It just means you take it even easier next time when it starts to get tight.
  5. Deadsy

Oh and...

Bugger , of course, how silly of me............
  6. It happens. It shouldn't, but it does. You got away with it so treat it as a learning experience. If there's no damage, ride on with an apology. If there is damage, man up, stop and sort it out properly as you would with any other minor bingle. Wouldn't you :D.
  7. Adjusting mirrors - it's our way of giving back to those who give so much to us.
  8. 2 in 2 months for me :)
  9. 1 in 4 months for me. Bastard decided to move left to try and make the gap smaller. so i decided to rearrange his mirrors.
  10. none in roughly 4 years of riding.
  11. I used to do it quite often on the V Star!!
    The mirrors on them are exactly the same height as the ones on vans & 4WD's!!
    Big enough space between cages until you get up to them & forget about the width of the bars!!!!
    OOPS!!! :p
  12. Somones been reading 'Gassit', haha. Pure gold, those comics.

Cheers - boingk
  13. Maybe 3 in 21 years. Only one case of damage.
  14. 2 in 2 years.

Neither one caused any damage, first lady was really nice about it and told me not to worry, other guy was an arse and I ended up smashing his mirror off altogether. Pretty funny though. :rofl:
  15. LOL :rofl:
  16. 1 in 8 months, it was a tiny kiss between my mirror and the cars. I looked over and she hadn't noticed so no harm done, I kept on going. I Just hadn't judged the gap properly.
  17. She wasn't on the phone was she?
  18. Nah, looked like she still hadn't had her morning coffee though.
  19. Had one a couple of months ago. Gap a bit smaller than I normally go through, but I had a car around me being a bit aggressive so I went for it.

I got through, then the commodore ute moved forward and got my mirror. His mirror assembly split completely open for a few seconds before I moved forward and it went back together. Funny thing is the mirrors on the Triumph are a bit dickey and hard fixed. It should have been a mess in the middle of the road.

Ahh, Australian made cars really are good quality.
  20. Well you shouldnt be splitting in that case,get some more experiance on the road,or realise your capabilitys