Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bull-it Jeans test

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by taymaishu, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Saw a mate post this on Facebook. While i'm pretty new to bikes (and ergo, gear), I thought this was pretty damn phenomenal!

Bull-It Jeans dragged a guy up a hill behind a bike to show off their jeans.

That guy has some balls!

http://bit.ly/12PeZdC

2. I heard about these apparently they have some new material that puts Kevlar to shame.

3. Yeah, I've just been reading a bit - apparently it's called covec? Thought you guys might know something about it :/ Considering I just bought a pair of draggin' kevlar cargos..... could be a 'dammit' situation!

4. fark that was impressive not superfast but id buy a pair

5. Think i'll buy a pair of these, but it's funny how they're testing at really low speeds... Are you really going to slide 40m+ at 10km/h?

6. I think these demonstrations give new riders a false sense of security. oh look he got dragged 50m and he is perfectly okay.... A gentle slide down the road is not typical of a crash. A combination of tumbling and sliding down the road only a few metres is generally what happens road rash is the least of your concerns.

• Agree Agree x 2

7. Yeah, I think that's what I was getting at in my last post (early morning, explaining self is not a key strength!)

Do you know of Bull-It, Clint? They look pretty reputable and they have a lot of these videos around (but as we both mention, accurately replicating a crash scenario isn't one of them)

8. This is actually a copy of the draggin jeans test they used to advertise many years ago. The draggin video was much more impressive! (look at about 2 mins onward)

9. After some further research and dealings with the company that makes them, all I can stay is PLEASE steer clear of them.

The tests don't add up and I personally would rather go with the reputable stuff like draggins.

Shame, they seemed like a legitimately good company.

10. Can you give a little more detail?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Well, just doing the maths... Nobody slides for 40m at 10km/h - they should really meet their claims.

I enquired a little further and also discussed with some world-leading sailmakers I know (through sailing of course) and got this response from one:

"Covec is a stronger thread at low-intensity simulations that cannot be denied - but kevlar will retain is durability at much higher stress levels which is why we use it in sails. To be honest with you, I wouldn't go near covec if you're using it for riding protection as the heat and constant abrasion from a fall at speed will tear them apart very fast.
    Hope it helps mate"

So it pretty much matches with those slow-speed tests. Probably why they don't do any testing at higher speeds.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Thanks for the info !

13. So it would be great for luggage (like a tank bag)?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. A lot of companies do their tests on groomed drag strips like this, this doesn't reflect the road at all. A prepped drag strip is super slippery. They should do it on the return road directly next to the drag strip and see the difference

15. I bought a pair of bull-it cargo pants today. Not impressed, I'm taking them back for a refund. 2 main reasons:
    1. The covec lining, which bull-it says is 70% coverage with an illustration that shows a 70% lining, is in reality nothing more than a handkerchief-sized rag over the knees and a tea-towel sized rag over the bum. The rags aren't even connected. It's deceptive advertising.
    2. Secondly the build quality is crap. I tried to put hip pads in, the pocket on one side is sewn shut through the Velcro, and the other pocket has no Velcro. Just shoddy.

I appreciate that faulty stitching may slip through even the best manufacturers, but lying about the extent of protective lining? That's plain shonky.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. If you really are that concerned about your safety and protecting yourself against road rash, then you should wear good quality leathers. Anything less is a compromise.

Edit, or of course, try not falling off.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. 50m at a really low speed as well....

18. Interesting, thanks for the info!

Meanwhile, I have had a look at the kevlar in draggin jeans, other no name brands and can quite say that the stitching of the kevlar in the draggin jeans generally comes out quite good. However, i have seen that Ricondi (a new player up here for riding gear) has much better kevlar stitched jeans (much more tightly stitched than Draggin Jeans), and in my opinion would certainly provide better protection than even Draggin Jeans themselves.

19. Most of the one man operations just import kevlar pants (and leathers) from Pakistan, and stick on a variable mark up (from fair to ridiculous). The factories in Sialkot are the ones churning out heaps of low quality riding gear at cheap prices. When they're not making riding gear, the same machinists make footballs and handbags etc

Consequently, those importing don't actually have any genuine R&D, other than feedback from customers.

I wear kevlars on occasion, but I am quite aware that the level of protection given isn't great.

20. I would have to agree with you there. All are made overseas, the difference being the ones from Ricondi are pretty tightly controlled and he knew he wanted tighter stitching on the kevlar than what all provided thus far. So from reports, i believe he actually went and visited a number of factories overseas to find the best he could and something that was made to his satisfaction aswell as a number of others that I know who repair leathers, design them, etc...

So worthwhile giving Ricondi a shot in my opinion.