Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Built-in camera?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by mendosi, Oct 18, 2012.

1. I have been wondering whether any motorcycles come with a built-in, GoPro-style camera. I have never seen it discussed here or on bike feature lists.

I think a built-in camera would be superior in a number of ways:
    - securely mounted
    - not obvious to others that a camera is present
    - can draw power from the bike
    - could be activated by a switch on the hand grip
    - because it wouldn't have battery-life issues, it could constantly be caching whatever is going on so that anything unexpected can still be captured permanently (like the feature on new TVs allowing you to rewind live TV)

I don't know, can you think of any downside, except cost?
  2. The camera will be hopelessly outdated long before the bike is, and if integrated into the bike is just going to be difficult to remove/replace.

Helmets with a built in camera would make more sense, since the lifespan on those is a lot shorter.
  3. Ah, excellent point! Unfortunately you can't power something on the helmet from the bike.
  4. You could make a camera do all that if you want to yourself and it would be more hidden because people dont know that bike has one

You can get heated gear that needs a tether.
  5. I have an act20 camera. It's got overwrite oldest file when full function and a record when powered function. So I hooked a 12v socket to my lights and used it to power the camera. Works great apart from the fact that I couldn't find a place to mount it hidden, it's not wide angle. I had it mounted under my headlight hidden against the fairing, and all it captured was 5m of road in front of me. Might try again another time.