Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

News Build Your Own Motorcycle With a Kit from Moto8ight

Discussion in 'Motorcycling News' started by NetriderBot, May 8, 2016.

1. It’s probably the logical next step given how popular custom bikes have become and that is to build a motorcycle of your own entirely from scratch. We have kit homes and kit cars, now new startup Moto8ight is offering people that are handy with tools the opportunity to build their own motorcycle – and specifically one based on the Suzuki GSX series.

Jack Chin is the founder of Moto8ight and wanted to start the project so that people who just weren’t confident enough to build their own bike without at least some guidance could do so. Once for sale, the kit will provide a frame, fuel tank, rear sub-frame, seat, engine mounts and other bits and pieces of hardware. That means you’ll still have to provide your own engine, brakes, wheels and suspension.

Engines that the frame will support out without modification will be the 988-1992 GSX-R 750cc/1100cc, 1995-2004 Bandit GSF 600cc/1200cc and1988-2004 Katana GSX 600cc/750cc – all oil-cooled motors.

That will still leave a lot of room for customising the bike – and still a very steep learning curve for someone that has never pulled apart a bike – let alone put one back together. But’s a start, and the ability to buy a brand new frame that doesn’t feature and cracks or bends that are sometimes difficult to spot is a big plus. The company intends to provide a vast array of video and written tutorials to help anyone with the build and Chin believes a fairly competent person could finish their build in the space of a few weekends.

For the US market the frames will have VINs so they can be road registered – it will be interesting to see what options might become available for international buyers. No wording on a final price or release just yet, but expect everything to be finalised by the end of the year.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Continue reading...

• Like Like x 1
  2. I like the idea, especially if you have a spare bike with a bent frame. But I can't see it ever making it to our small market.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. I've always fancied building a bike from scratch. Though knowing my skills in reality it might end up resembling "the homer" aesthetically :p
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I wouldn't call the Moto8ight kit building a bike, I've made harder Ikea furniture then that.
    If you want a challenge just buy a Ducati, you'll have weekends of enjoyment of diagnosing, pulling apart, figuring out where goes everything does, admiring your empty wallet and complimenting the quality engineering with colourful language...sometimes to even just change a conveniently located consumable or solve a rattle!
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. All well and good for the US, but I wouldn't fancy the chances of getting one of those kits built and regoed any state in Oz.

OTOH, one kit and a stat write-off could make a pretty neat track bike.
  6. What advantage do you have over starting with a partial dismantled bike to begin? Other then Bent frames or cracks. If you have the capabilities to build a bike from scratch (assemble). You will have or a good idea, of how and what measures to take to find Bent frames or cracks to deal with. Using a Jig and a Tig... Many a Back yard guys (US mostly) build Frames completely from just Bar stock on a home made Jig.

I'm not opposed to the idea. More power to the creator.
    But we have little to gain by such kits here I think. Bikes such as this could be registered. They will be known as an 'Individual constructed Vehicle'.. Following Engineer's approval from the start and Testing from accredited stations for Brake capabilities, Handling and frame flex (Possibly?) OH, and yeah.. Being it will be Built "New" it will have to conform to "To-Date" Emissions and design rules.. This too will need to pass inspection.

No, Take the route as a Custom/ Modified Bike.. Start with a complete/ partial or skeleton Bike and adapt parts you need. Bobbers, Brats, Cafe's, Street Trackers all follow this rule.

7. [​IMG]

There's rules for customising your bike?
  8. Actually I reckon it would, with a bit of effort, be doable, probably as an Individually Constructed Vehicle (ICV). The big stumbling blocks with kit cars are emissions and crash protection, neither of which apply to two-wheelers. The one difficult bit might be noise, especially with the older engine designs used for this beastie, but I still reckon you could get there.

Whether it would really be worth the ffort, though, is another matter. Unlike the big air-cooled Jap motors of yore, which powered the first generation of Harrises, Spondons, Nicko-Bakkers and the like, the donor chassis for all those engines are pretty competent, so all you're really gaining is individuality. How much is that worth to you?
  9. Figuratively speaking, of course. Meant, in that; Due to our Laws for modified Vehicles today. Such a kit doesn't offer a great deal of freedoms any more then a Base bike of your choice chosen to Modify for thier discretion/ needs/ wants.

From all that Info, You dissected one line. :D

10. It was the only part I thought I had a witty repartee for. :rolleyes:
    Your comment that I picked on came across a bit hipster-ish, I don't know if that was the intent of it. But there's no need to 'tsk tsk' or look down one's nose at someone who hasn't used an ethically sourced, single origin, authentic Ducati MHR frame when creating their custom bobber.

Anyways, no harm no foul, it's all banter ;)

As for the laws aspect that you mention, the only parts relevant to ICV motorcycles is brake performance and noise.
    There's a few other ADRs to comply with as well (see below, from ICV (Cars & Bikes)), but it wouldn't be an insurmountable task.

As PatBPatB states, what this kind of thing does allow is the ability to build a good looking post-classic-esque bike (EDIT: with the ability to use cheap, easily obtained oil-cooled Zooks for that matter!) for people who may be confident and competent spinning spanners, but not necessarily fabricating a frame from scratch.

No different to Harris Performance in the UK for bikes, or for cars, the plethora of kit car manufacturers around.
    Harris Frame Kits
  11. #11 KustomCandy, May 14, 2016
    Last edited: May 14, 2016
    Hi Murphy. I guess we both come across looking at it from different views (Comments).

Im all for Banter, and I can take it no problem. So all good here. "Hipster", I have heard of the Theme/fad. LOL, and I am far from that crowd or many others. To Quote Jonny shine once in an interview in Aust. "No, Im just a Guy that likes old cars and Motorcycles".

Interesting link.. It all sounds easy.
    Ad if you payed for a shop to do the ground work it would be. But super costly. BUT, isnt the point of the Kit to do it your self?
    See, Myself not the Conformist type. I couldnt fathom have anything Build for ME. A house maybe. But a bike or rod... F.......k no.

That link is still vague in its details ,to what will intail such a build.
    And Im outa time.