Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bugger - Helmet tested to destruction..

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by ~DadAgain~, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Yeah well I'm ok... no brain damage (at least not from this incident)..

BUT my trusty 1 yr old RJays GP1 helmet has been attacked, by my 3yr old daughter.

It seems she grabbed the visor and PULLED... HARD....

The fiddly little plasticy bits that hold the visor on (you know the bits you swear at when trying to change from tinted to clear visor) have been snapped off so that one side of the visor just hangs off if its opened more than about an inch.

For the time being I can live with it (just DONT open the visor) - but i'm thinking it may have to be 'retired' to a pillion helmet and give me an excuse to go shopping again!!

To all those who said should've gotten a more expensive lid - good job I didnt - NOTHING can withstand the determined destructive power of a 3 yr old and losing a $200 helmet to the gods of childish demolition is far easier to swallow than losing a $600 helmet would have been! :grin:

I guess SNELL, DOT etc testing doesnt account for THIS kind of problem does it? :p

2. I'd imagine if you yanked a Shoei, the visor would just pop off without damaging anything... i kind of dropped my last one and the visor popped out no worries without damaging anything.

Just depends on the fixing design really.

3. Why don't you just buy a new visor (if that's the broken bit) or
    new sideplates (if that's the broken bit) ?

It'd be cheaper for when the 3yo attacks again... :shock:

4. On the shoei wouldn't you need to open the "preset opening lever" (on the left hand side) for the visor to pop out when the helmet is dropped.

5. By the look of the picture I can find of the helmet, the sideplate to which the visor attaches, is replaceable, just order a new one, unscrew the screws and replace it.

6. Just had a bit of a look - you're right it will unscrew.
    Excellent.... that should save me a bit of grief!
    :grin: :grin:

7. It may save you some grief, but the problem will be to find a bike shop that will order the parts for you.
    And then it may just be quicker to buy another helmet , and retire that one to being your spare.

8. Nah, there would be spares around. Shit like that breaks all the time.