Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Buffing out paint scratches. Got any tips?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by robsalvv, Mar 18, 2007.

1. My bike has some scratches on the fairing and tank that might be buffable.

I've got a 3000rpm buffer (from supacheap) kicking around the garage somewhere and some lambswool pads to go with it... and I have some cutnshine type polish... is that enough to start??? Got any hot tips before I start??

Cheers
    Rob

2. Watch out for any sharp edges with the buffer it will take the paint off if you are not careful.

3. id be hitting it with 2000 grit and a foam pad with cutting compond then go the lambswool.
    But if ur just hitting it with the lambswool it will just take longer +1 to letting it cool down between attemps.

If u hit/see the halo stop. and get some to spray some clear over it b4 u start again.

4. When you are working to the edge of a fairing (for example) to the sharp edge, make sure you hold and work the buff in a direction that allows the pad to spin freely of the edge, and not against the edge. Also beware of corners (or edges) as paint is normally easier to remove from here. Personally unless you have a decent sized (and powered) electric buff you will get much the same (if not better result) by hand well that has been my experience.

Anyway if that doesn't make sense let me know and will draw a pic for you :p

5. timely topic- leant my bike out to a mate for a quick blat on the w/end, and it came back with a scratch on the tank. :evil:
    Not big enough for me to make him pay for repair, but would be nice to buff it out somehow.

thing is, the superduke tank is matte black- anyone have experience with matte paint repair?

What would be the best way?

I'm guessing buffing may gloss up part of the tank...

6. Thanks for the hot tips :)

Here's a pretty detailed resource on the art of buffing:

http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/buffman.htm

Looks like the best I can expect with my current set up is to polish the bike up a bit. I'll need some more stuff to make serious head roads toward fixing the scratches... I 'spose I have an old commodore with plenty of scratches that I can practice on before I go anywhere near my bike... :-k

...or get one of those mobile car care mobs to do it for me.

7. Mate, thats way to fast and it will burn.
    I use a machine at 1600RPM. Got it from a panel shop that thought it was stuffed. :grin:

8. hi rob....we got a 2 inch buff here if you want to swing past one day i can give it a crack

9. After the excellent help on my last situation, believe me, I was thinking of ya... offer noted mate!

10. With some matte paints you can buff the scratch out and it goes shiney, but dulls back off when it cools down.
    Id recomend try a small bit on something you cant see, under the seat maybe, and see how it goes.

11. cheers mate, i'll be giving it a go this w/end on a test patch

12. The buffer has a 4" wheel, so the skin surface speed is actually too slow according to the article I linked to...

13. not such thing as too slow as long as the compound heats up a little my air polisher is 2,500rpm

14. Taken from the buffing book at the earllier link:

"For best results you wheel should maintain a surface speed of between 3600 & 7500 surface feet per minute [SFPM]. The higher your speed, the better and quicker your result. "

"SFPM = 1/4 x diam of wheel x RPM"

Soooo, my 4" wheel would have an SFPM of 3000... a bit slow according to the buffing book....

15. i used polisher and it removed(hide?) scratches made by helmet

16. The Caswell page is dedicated to metal polishing. The polishing wheels they discuss seem, mostly, to be used to grind and polish metal surfaces. My reading of the table Caswell presents ( http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/buffman.htm# ) leads me to think that their recommendations are based on a more aggresive approach than is needed for paint.

I found this
    at http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-polishing.html

and this:
    at http://www.abrn.com/abrn/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=88799

17. Thanks Chairman.

Looks like I wasn't seeing the forest for the trees.

Good links mate.

18. believe it or not but toothpaste is a very mild abrasive, and does take light scratches out