Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

budget bobber,, best platform?

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by goon-commander, Apr 5, 2011.

1. gday guys

just wanted some input as to which bike would be a great start to building a budget bobber style bike

i was thinking of going hardtail with a spring seat, i do kind of like the softail look but thats something i can decide on later

there are plenty of bikes out there that are a great start, but all the sellers seem to be asking big mullah

also if any body knows sites where i can find hardtail rear ends ready to weld on that would be great, availability for diferent models might have something to do with my choice of bike

anyway happy motoring,

p.s this is kind of what i had in mind

this guy apparently used a universal rigid frame kit

and it looks like the two in this photo were made rigid by replacing only the rear springs
  2. I will get in first and say 'Virago'.

Google Virago bobber and see what you can see.

Depending upon where you are - there are plenty of places around that can make a hard tail for your bike of choice.
  3. Pretty much any air-cooled UJM with a steel tube, twin-shock frame.

Hardtails ain't that hard to build for anyone who can weld. I mean weld BTW, not just tick two tubes together with birdshit :D.
  4. Stop looking through my windows.
  5. To be fair, I've seen quite a few birdshit hardtails. Most of them didn't break and none of them caused a crash.
  6. My advice would be to keep it light and the power output within the means of a hardtail frame. I mean, the common denominator with the examples you have posted is that each of them are SCARY! Whoa, a jap 4 in a rickety hardtail frame! Thats brave.

I have a '54 M21 BSA Rigid framed side valve. All of 14 HP. Perfect. There is something about rigid bikes when you get used to em, that makes them a real pleasure to throw into a corner. No rear suspension compression or movement whatsoever. They just stay planted. But that is within the limits of 14hp!. Even the best pre war rigid race bikes wouldnt have put out 50hp. Historiclly, there are reasons frame technology improved as power outputs rose and I reckon it would pay to keep that in mind if you actually intend to use your bike. A jap 4 is a lot of weight to pull, stop and get through a corner as well as being more complex and expensive to get right.

Twins are the tradional bobber fodder anyway. I'd be looking at that. Or the 600 single mentioned earlier would be interesting and different. The project ibast is doing on a 400 kawasaki twin elsewhere in this forum is looking brilliant and personaly, I wouldnt have said that was a project worth doing, but it is a perfect recipient.

Go laced wheels for sure, with the 16" on the back which creates the right front rake. Good luck with it.
  7. I cut my biking teeth in an evironment where rigid GS750s, GS1000s, Z9/10/1100s, XS1100s and the like were the staple of the custom bike scene. Many of them did very big miles. I don't rememeber too many problems apart from the odd compressed spinal disc :eek:.

Twins are nice, but the better looking ones, those with a bit of beef anyway, have already had their potential recognised and prices are rising. Old aircooled fours, however, are still dirt cheap as long as they aren't Kawasakis. As I've said before, I've seen tidy examples of GS750 and GS1000 go for less than two grand over the last couple of years. Either would make a stonking budget custom.

For a left field idea, if you can find an older aircooled BMW for cheap (and they do turn up occasionally) you can have twin cylinders, simple mechanicals, nice materials and 100% spares availability in a very modifiable package. There have been a few very nice Rs built over the years.
  8. It couldnt turn out any worse than the factory's effort with the R1200C! What were they thinkin!

Youre right about GS Suzuki's PatB. They're a bit of a sleeper still, but they make excellent roadburners, so there wont be many end up as customs. They will go the route of the Z's and all be jaffa orange/brown 4 pipe spec, again. And unaffordable to mere mortals.

Virago's dont have a frame do they? What can you stuff one of those into? Go hybrid.
  9. Try looking up chopper sites, there are quite a few,

Hard tail is not good for the spine,

Think about a sprung heel.

Or sprung hub,
  10. Sounds like there are plenty of options.

For what it is worth - here are a couple of images from my bike p0rn file that might inspire.

(Whilst I am a fan of the CB750 mod, I do like the black BMW a lot).
  11. I think singles are the way to go. I know twins are a little more 'genuine' but I really think the TT could be made to work. Lots of parts, very cheap donor bikes. Already wire spoked hubs and a pretty nice looking donk. Twin carbs too, that could be a bit of a feature. Single shock though...

I'm starting my next project at the end of this year, and I think, like the others, that some BMW's could be made to work. Only problem is the start up cost is quite high. Sadly, the days of the cheap air cooled shitter are well past us. Our last savour is the big single trailie...
  12. The 1980s Viragos (search terms: TR1, XV750, XV1000, Virago midnight special), which are cheap, had a hard-tail looking swing arm with a mono-shock. Best of both worlds: the ectasy, without the agony.

This cafe'd one shows it better http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_qpWtg6IvD...K38/Rq8tV1z1BHk/s1600-h/YamahaTR1+NewCafe.jpg

The big trail bikes also have a monoshock rear, and a single cylinder engine is more fun that anything else; especially around town, which is the domain of a bobber.

I reckon Jap fours make really cool choppers/bobbers.
  13. thanks for all the info guys
    some thinking to do, i found another ex trail bike bobber somewhere and i reely like how it turned out. would have to see about getting some road tyres for it tho. hardtail + knobies = vibrations?

going to read up some more once i get home from work
    i will post my findings