Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

BRP can-am Spyder Experience

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by highwaybruiser, May 13, 2010.

1. On Sunday I went over to Queanbeyan (near Canberra for those who don't know) to take part in the Spyder Experience.

I had absolutely no intention of buying one, and still don't. There's no way I'd swap the 'busa for what the missus dubbed "a souped up mobility scooter"

All that aside, I can say that BRP have done a fantastic job in the engineering department and the build quality was great. It took quite a bit to get used to the dynamics of the Spyder as it's very similar to a quad-bike, and I've only ever ridden one of those once, for all of about 200 metres at most- and that was about 8yrs ago.

It was a great deal of fun, and even more so once you started to get the hang of it, especially on roundabouts. The boss came along and said the ride back on the pillion seat was super comfy and she felt very safe and secure and at no point did she feel like she was going to fall off. There was a couple of times I wasn't so sure though... those roundabouts! Not surprising that the pillion ride was a comfortable one as we opted for the tourer, and were assigned the top of the range model with all the bells and whistles. It's like a Goldwing with an extra front wheel. The pillion even gets their own speakers for the stereo, and heated grab rails!

The Spyder sticks to the road really well with 2x 195/65x14 tyres up front and a 215 or 225 (can't remember) 15 inch rear gets the power to the road. There's traction control, stability control, and ABS brakes which operate all 3 wheels via a foot-brake only (you do find yourself reaching for the front brake) and offer phenomenal stopping power.

Not something I'd consider myself, but the missus did say she could see herself riding one to work. Thinking about that, painting one white and putting her business logo on it couldn't be a bad thing. They certainly turn heads, and have plenty of secure storage with panniers, a top box, and a boot out front.

Talking business, I reckon they'd be a great little jigger to hire for self-drive type holidays. We'd certainly consider hiring one to tour around on holiday if it were available.

Anyways, if you can, take the opportunity to give the can-am Spyder a spin while the Spyder Experience is touring the country. It's well run, and they don't pressure you with a sales pitch. If you're interested, they have sales staff on hand, but it's up to you to aproach them. They do ask that you fill in a very simple feedback form- I guess to help them identify a target market and formulate a marketing strategy.

Bottom line, great fun!

2. Glad you liked it Wazza.

I personally couldn't come to grips with the opposite lean, heavy steering and strong understeer characteristics of the Spyder.

It might be very good for what it is, but whatever it is, it sure ain't a motorcycle.
  3. Like I said, it takes a while to get your head around it... and yeah, much more like a quad than a bike.