Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

brown trouser moment for me last night

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by WeeBubba, Jun 26, 2011.

1. well, just a reminder here really to be careful when riding through the bush at night.

yesterday i left work and thought i'd take mcarrs creek home. it was light when i set off from work, but by the time i started on mcarrs it was almost dark which i hadn't really figured on (bad planning on my part). oh well, so i was following a car all the way up there, which i thought was a clever thing to do in case of any wildlife.

then half way up doin about 70 and BAM i just see this big white flash in front of the bike. the bike just ran right over it and really apart from a momentary softness with the suspension and minor wobble it didn't have any other effect which was lucky.

so i turned around and went back to see what it was. a freakin big possum dead on the road, so i pulled it off onto the side feelin a bit gutted.

was wondering whether that incident mightve turned out more dangerous for me, was trying to work out what i couldve done differently afterwards, and figured it happened to quickly to avoid, really the only answer was to not have taken the road in the first place.

2. Unfortunately you cannot use a car as a shield against wildlife. They will happily bounce onto any vehicle in a convoy.
    The road to the gf's place is littered with wallabys and as such, I haven't taken the bike along that road when it's dark. They will be on the road at any given point, be it bouncing along/off it or lying dead in the middle of the lane. It's also hard to predict just what they will do when they suddenly appear out of darkness at 80 klicks.
    My method in the car is to travel slower and put on the high beams and 'fog' lights [not really fogs, but the do throw a lot more light out to the sides of the road].

I think the only thing you can do is have increased light [high beams or hook up some extras] and go slower so you can see the animal, and have time to react. Or to avoid roads that are known to have road-fairing wildlife.

I avoided a possum in the car just last night as he scampered across the road, there is no way I'd want to hit one of those on my bike. I'd say you were lucky, animal strikes can be deadly.

I've also just had the idea for a tourist video involving motorists at night and drop bears...

3. Better a freakin' big possum than a freakin' big wombat!

4. Which are both better than a big red which stands taller than you do and weighs a good deal more. Hit one of those at a buck fiddy just East of Hay, and it's an experience you won't forget.

5. And there is still water on NcCarrs Creek Road to boot (got a clear run down yesterday arvo after the BBQ at Homebush). Nah, I won't do those sort of roads at night due to the assorted wildlife doing suicide runs across the road (many do though).

Glad that the outcome was "WeeBubba 1 - Possum 0" rather than the other way around!

6. mostly because after you stop sliding down the road it will kick your ass to make sure you don't do it again :D

7. If your using a car as a bunny you might want to keep 3 or 4 seconds gap. Just watch his brake lights for bad bits.
    Because if you too close he might put a wheel either side of a bloody big hole and it will be to late for you to maneuver if your too close. Same with sticks and rocks. Cars fling them up.
    Those bloody roo's come out of no where. And wombats are just plain tough as.
    If our going to hit some creature, like contact is eminent. It's better to not try and swerve. Get your weight back and an even pressure behind the bars. Hopefully your momentum will have them bounce off. If your on a lean then chances are you will bounce off it

8. Well, I'm here to talk about it and he's not. Could have been the other way around, though. I nearly saved the following crash, too. From point of impact to the spot the bike went down was well over 200m. Then it tumbled and slid for another hundred m or so before it stopped. I managed to get one hand back on the bars and was trying to lever myself back up onto the seat and get a hold of the other bar, while the bike had a grand mal seizure, when the ground came up and hit me. Another couple of seconds and I would have ridden through it.

9. How hard is it!!! Geez
    Why cant animals understand the simple rule - STAY OFF THE BLACK STUFF - Not that hard really? is it? :D

10. Joggers and cyclists can't.

11. What if there's a hot possum across the other side of the road in need of some errr.... :censored:??

12. Joggers yup they have the footpath..

Cyclists - Whole other argument

13. Wrong on so many levels lol

14. Alright Katie, ima calling you out:

What have you hit/almost hit?

I've hit bugs, some butterflies and once had a bee flog me in the cheek (before i closed my visor), closed my visor and then realized it was still there...

@Kneedragon: awesome bar story man :D =D> and thanks for making it shorter than 6 paragraphs!!! :D

15. :blah::butt::p
    I'll have you know, young fella, that once, years ago ... I could remember the point I was trying to make.

16. I meant from the other possum's perspective... what were you thinking??

You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt.

Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at six o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of 'gravel, work twenty hour day at mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were lucky!

Well, of course, we had it tough. We used to 'ave to get up out of shoebox at twelve o'clock at night and lick road clean wit' tongue. We had two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at mill for sixpence every four years, and when we got home our Dad would slice us in two wit' bread knife.

Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

And you try and tell the young people of today that... they won't believe you.

17. by not seeing it you've probably done the right thing. been led to believe for small things you need to be on the gas so there is less weight on the front and you go over them. on the brakes there is too much weight forward so the front won't lift and you go down.

18. That is not even close to funny!!!!

19. Awwwwwww
    U think