Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Brown Smoke

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by xpy, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Hey Guys... had an interesting problem this morning with my bike 06 CBR600RR.

When i turned her over, she started fine straight away, but then this brown smoke started coming out from the front of the bike and there was an odd burning odor, i quickly pulled my helmet off and jumped off the bike to try and see specifically where it was coming from, but couldnt work it out.

Odd thing is... it only lasted about 60 seconds or so, then stopped. I rode the bike to work this morning, and it felt fine, made no odd noises, no more smells, nothing.

Any ideas ? Could something have leaked onto the engine and it was burning off ? Is there anything i can easily check myself ? What does brown smoke usually indicate ?

Cheers guys.
  2. check to see if anything has been melted into your front pipes.
    You may have run into a small piece of plastic wrapper or similar.
  3. Hey, i looked there when i jumped off but i couldnt see anything.

It seemed to be coming from under the fairing... its hard to say, cos by the time i managed to put the stand back down, jump off the bike, get my helmet off etc etc.. it was stopping.
  4. Could it be a bit of oil sitting on top of a piston burning off or something ?

I guess given it ran fine, and only lasted a short period of time, ill run with it and see how it goes. If it starts doing something else crazy ill take it down to the mechanics.
  5. Nah ... that'd burn then exit out your muffler as blue smoke.
    I wouldn't be too concerned, but if it's buggin you, remove the fairings and check.
  6. Brown Smoke?

Probably a cat snuck in during the night and crapped on your bike near the exhaust :LOL:
  7. That's stuff is great for preventing your visor from fogging up !

8. Chances are its a once off dust, maybe rust being blown out... See if it happens again and have someone there to confirm the color when you start it.
  9. Cheers for the replies guys... Fired her up again for the ride home and it was fine, no smell, no smoke, nothing... So i have no idea what it was.

Doubt it was rust or anything like that, it was riden only a few days prior to today.

Looks like it will remain a bit of a mystery :?
  10. Bugs or something looking for some heat, wasps looking for a hot meal?