Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Brown pants moment.

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' at netrider.net.au started by spottedninja, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Hey all, had a newar miss today.

Riding back from Stanly Chasm with about $2.00 in my pocket, I think someting hit my front wheel because all of a sudden it was shaking pretty rapidly. Scared the shit out of me. When i tried to brake i noticed the lever came all the way to the grip with very little braking happening. Any idea what might have happened? The lever got better after that first pull.

I am thinking something hit my front wheel and somehow affected the brakes.

Ash

2. That's what happened to Casey stoner recently. When you got the head shake, the thrashing pushes the brake pads back in the calipers. When you squeeze, there isn't much pressure as they need to travel so far. Re-applying after that will re-adjust them.

Scary moment I'm sure.

3. i hadnt heard of that till now, glad you're ok from it tho.
    Brakes back to normal now? and any damage at all to the bike/wheel/brakes?

4. The bike is fine. I am fine. It was just a scary reminder of what can go wrong. Does anyone know the best way to react to something like that?

5. survival reactions thread might be worth a read

6. Minglis is right - the exact same thing happened to Casey Stoner in this years Japan (i think ) motoGP. Once you apply the brake the first time it will basically reset the calipers/pads/etc back to normal so the second brake application should work as normal. Go check out the footage from that race is was a fairly epic moment for Stoner and I'm sure it gave you a scare.

7. Minglis, given the pressure it takes to push the pistons back in a brake caliper (having done it whenever I replace my pads) I'd be very surprised if that was the cause. Still, there's much about the magic of mechanics that's beyond my ken.

Using a different gold coin helps. But if you must be such a big spender, it's definitely worth clarifying the cause of the issue. What model and year of bike do you ride? (Always include that information when asking a mechanical question.) By "front wheel [...] was shaking" are you referring to a tank slapper, the wheel moving up and down rapidly on the suspension, or something else?

8. I ride a 2010 Yamaha R1. I will look up that video when I get home.

9. taken from here.

10.  Top
  11. Just glanced over the link Minglis. So the basic advice to deal with the problem is by doing things in advance to decrease the chance of head shake, not much one can do about the consequent brake problem except deal well with it when it happens.

Jeez I'm glad I ride like an old man. Never had a tank slapper, regardless of the fact I've spent so much time on shit boxes with stuffed head bearings.

12. Thanks for the link. I am glad it happens to the best of us. Anyone have any experiences they want to share regarding them

13. Yep. He said after that the head shake pushed the brakes back and he got nothing when he squeezed them. Lever went to the bar with nothing. Then he tried again and the back came off the ground (which you see in the footage). that's why he ran off the track. Commentators were saying the same thing before he talked about what happened as well.

14. Also does anyone have a link to the survival reflexes link kernel was talking about?

15. Ya see,you ride a Yamaha,if you rode a decent bike you would have had at least $6 in your pocket.

16. I don't know if u are saying they are expensive or that other bikes can do 600ks an hour

17. your the one who had $2 in his pocket

18. ROTFL - Far cough, Blabber! You're bringing a bazooka to a knife fight. It's not fair!

5 min of childish giggling later ...

Pads forcing pistons back in is not common, but it's a fairly well known thing. Seemingly, the things that make a calliper really good, also make it prone to this. That is, sh1tty old brakes don't do it, but good ones can. After a headshake, before you need the brakes, if you have a moment, pump the brakes up. GENTLY! With care...

The car racing folks always have a bit of a confidence dab at the pedal after a slow corner / hot brake followed by a long straight, where the brakes can cool right off. The thermal contraction of the disk itself can result in a pretty big gap between the disk and the pads at the end of the straight, and back in the days before Caltex Chase went in, plenty of drivers got to the end of Conrod Straight and found their pedal went to the floor. That can kinda get your attention...

If the bars shake, and you have a second or two, extend your index finger and slowly, softly, carefully check that you have lever and pump it up if need be.

19. I am confused.

20. You've hit by - you've been struck by - a smoooth criminal. :eek:wned: