Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

broken valve stem on wheel

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by apollokids, Dec 16, 2009.

1. hey all, i dont post much but i do LURK alot haha

well anyway topping off the tyres at the servo last night. and the rear wheel's valve stem broke off. what do i do?

thanks

2. errr, i'd probably take it somewhere that changes tyres.......

3. was just wondering if there was anything i could do without taking it to a tyre changer. i guess not.

4. You sort of need the valve stem, to hold the valve, to hold the air in.

You might be able to buy a new valve stem somewhere and fit it yourself, but that depends entirely on the bike and type of valve stem.

5. Is it a tube or tubeless?

If a tube then you need anew one. (Tyre fitter)

If tubeless. Probably still need a tyre fitter but hell of a lot cheaper.

6. If it's the actual valve itself and has broken at the top threaded section it will only stop the valve cap going on due to no thread. As soon as it is broken further down where the valve core is comprimised, it will then not seal properly. Assuming the tyre is still holding air through the core the only problem will be crap getting into the core and jamming it resulting in leaks. If it is the actual core itself they can sometimes be removed without having to change the complete valve. Which part of Melbourne are you in?

Al.

7. And the answer for the noob question of the week is:

Take it to a tyre fitter, preferably a bike shop, and have it fixed, before it lets you down whilst out riding....

8. For the sake of a few bucks, why risk your neck..?