Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Broken Speedo Gauge - ZZR-250

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Shoot To Thrill, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Hey guys,

I rode to work this morning on my ZZR250 and I noticed that my Speedo has stopped working. It was working fine last night, but then all of a sudden it just won't move at all.

I've also noticed that the gear lever is really spongy in first gear, like it feels like it's kicking down further than it should be.

Do you think it's the fuse or cable? Or something more serious?

The dilemma I'm stuck with is that I'm at work at the moment, so I don't have any tools to pull the fairings off to find the problem!

Any advice would be much appreciated.
  2. Check the speedo cable, they do break although not that often.
    When was the last oil change?
  3. Your 2 issues will not be related.
    Speedo cables do break. the ZZR drives off the front hub and is easy to get at.
    Cross your fingers it's not the gauge but many are sold with a replacement gauge so they are also known to fail and its a technical/technician job to fix.
  4. It's due for a total service now. I was planning on doing it this weekend. I can do all the basic stuff like the oil change, plugs and filter, but I think it might need a carbie balance and vaulve clearance as well though unfortunately.
  5. I just went and checked it out, and it looks like it's just the cable come loose. Not sure how that happened, but I couldn't reach through the fairing to screw it back on so I'll have to take the front cowl off when I get home.

Thanks for the help guys