Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Broken Rim

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by roysrun, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Hi All,

Need to find a place in Sydney that will replace/repair rims. Front rim has cracked all the way through :(....i have been looking on eBay but really not sure what im looking for.

Bikes a 2000 Ducati Monster 600

Thanks in advance for the advice,

2. Never had experience with bikes, but when it comes to cars you are probably better off replacing the rim than repairing it if its a serious crack. I believe wheel repair shops can weld the crack and paint it, but it sounds like yours is too severe.

I suggest you jump on some ducati forums like ducati.ms or ducatimonsterforum.org and ask their advice, they can probably tell you a range of models that you can scavenge a replacement wheel from.
  3. I'd definitely be replacing. Cast Al alloy can be welded if someone really knows what they're doing - but there's a very real risk of finding someone who doesn't but will give it a go anyway.
  4. Thanks for the advice guys might take a look at Frasers they seem to know their Ducati's :) might cost a bit but ill know for sure shes back on the road and im as safe as possible riding her
  5. Unless the crack is from a specific impact, it's highly likely to reoccur, however well a repair is done. I'd replace the wheel TBH. It's not like the bike is so rare that a used rim will be unobtainable.