Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Broken oil dipstick.

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by ChesterCB, Oct 22, 2013.

1. I went to check the oil in my CB400 and the dipstick for the oil has fallen in. So I have an oil cap but no dipstick.

My questions are:
    1. How the hell do I get it out without taking off the cover? I'd really rather not do that.

2. How long is the dipstick meant to be? If I use an empty pen case or similar I'd like to know how high the oil should be.

If I leave the dipstick in there, will it do any damage? Is there a chance it could get hot and melt to something else?
  2. Can I have this moved to the "new rider - noob mistakes" thread? I'm checking a cb400 not a cb125e. the 400 doesn't have a dipstick :oops:
  3. Ok, forgoing the numerous possible "broken dipstick" jokes, you might be able to fish it out if you take off either the alternator or clutch covers. The latter might be your best bet and allow you to fish around in the sump with a magnetic pick-up (magnet on a stick, basically). That is of course assuming it's a steel dipstick and not a plastic one, in which case you might, MAYBE be able to snag it with a straightened out coat-hanger wire or something like it.
  4. Thanks for the advice, but I had a real moment of duuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhh. One of my bikes has a dipstick, which is fine, the other has a "window" with which to see the oil level. I was just stupid for 15 minutes.
  5. As I know VTEC models has no dip stick.
    They have indicator windows and oil fill is about 3.2 ltr , check as you fill until oil reach high level on indicator window.
  6. Ok, that's alright then.

Nothing worse than thinking you have a busted dipstick and then remembering you haven't got one.

I jest.

Busted one. Much worse.

Glad you got it sorted. :D
  7. I would have hated having to take the casing off. I owned a couple of posties that needed clutch attention and I was not a fan.
    It totally could have been worse, but still...