Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Broken o ring on chain

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by chuchu91, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Hey Guys

Has this happened to anyone? What did you do or should i do?

I have a cb400 with 4300km, all services done and chain lubed and tensioned ever 450-500km. Today however when lubing the chain I noticed that a o ring had broken.

Here are some pictured.

Image 1.

Image 2.

2. You bought the bike new? It's under warranty? Email those pics to them and ask if you can ride it in, or whether they'd like to have it picked up and trailered in. It's a warranty issue.

It shouldn't need any tensioning in 4k .... Who tensioned it? You? How much free play was there in it after you were done?
  3. not really tension more just checking the free play 25-30mm in the middle of the chain at its tightest spot.

The dealer said that its not really a warranty issue is this isn't really cover under warranty which i was a little shocked about.

I did buy it new and if have also email honda australia about it.
  4. well there's no way that should happen to a properly lubed and proerly tensioned chain in 4300 kilometers, so assuming it's the same chain that was on the bike when the bike was new, I can't see why that shouldn't be a warranty issue.
  5. im no expert on the matter, but have you been vigorously scrubbing the chain when cleaning it? wondering if that could wear/weaken it

i had to adjust the chain on my cb400 mine after the first 500k a notch and a 1/2. been fine since.
  6. A chain is considered a consumable item, and as such it technically isn't covered. I can understand that.

I would go back and say that brake pads are also consumable items, but if he (the service manager) bought a new car and the brakes started to squeal at 4,300 km, and inspection showed they were metal on metal - would he personally expect the dealer to deal with it or tell him to go away?

If they will not come to the party - walk out and don't go back there - and let us all know who and where, so we don't go there either.
  7. I do scrub it everynow and again but not excessively. I also have another 2 bikes here cleaned the same way and those chains seem fine.

May just be a fualty chain? I'll be heading to the dealer tomorrow to have it checked out.
  8. I think the chain is faulty.

If they won't fix it - buy a master link and a chain breaker (or borrow a mate's angle grinder, but a proper breaker is easier) and replace the dud link with a master link. Cheaper than replacing the whole chain.

About the only things I can think of is that the O-ring was faulty, with implications that other things about that chain may also be sub standard.

(And you ruled this one out) Extreme user incompetence that led to the chain being adjusted up 'TIGHT' , which may first manifest with a broken link or O-ring.

(Unlikely) some freak event with a small piece of foreign matter - like a stick or a nail - that saw one end come to rest against the O-ring and the other against the sprocket. As the wheel turned it crushed and cut the O-ring. Things like that happen off road from time to time, but if that's what we're seeing, it's the first time I've ever seen it on a road bike.

I think the machine that makes chains had a minor brain-fart and positioned that one O-ring slightly out of place, damaging it as the chain was assembled, but the fault wasn't readily visible until the O-ring snapped.

If they won't replace the chain - because it's policy - don't have a dummy spit. Stay reasonable and ask them about adding a master-link, and how much the'd charge you to do that. You might mention the brake pad analogy again. You might also quietly and respectfully explain that 20,000 fellow NetRiders are waiting to hear the outcome of this saga with bated breath.
  9. Yeah don't really want to be replacing a whole chain and then also have to change sprockets.

Honda hopefully will replace it for me. If they do though should I also ask them to replace sprockets as well?
  10. I know that it's current thinking to replace sprox with the chain, but, realistically, a pair of sprockets with 4300km on them will be fine and quite capable of taking a new chain without instantly chewing it to pieces.

I suspect that this thinking comes from the fact that modern o-ring chains last a very long time compared to what used to be typical chain life. In the pre-o-ring era 10,000-15,000 kms was considered quite normal for a powerful bike or a dirt bike with lots of suspension travel. Today, with chains lasting 40-50k km or twice that with a Scottoiler, yes, the sprockets will be buggered by the time the chain needs replacing, but the rider of 25 years ago might have wrapped three chains round the same set of perfectly serviceable sprockets over the same kilometerage.

So, in short, no, I wouldn't be replacing sprockets at 4300km. The life of the new chain might be marginally compromised but I wouldn't expect it to be by much. If you can persuade Honda to replace them free of charge, then go for it but if they don't it's not the end of the world.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. an o-ring chain on a new bike????????
    i would say its an x-ring. its getting hard to even find an o-ring chain today.

as said before its an consumable,
    same as brake pads and tires, dealer wont cover it as the manufacuter (honda) will not cover it. (also applies to battery's on a certain brand, even though buying the yuasa over the counter has a warranty)

if it was me, id get them to put a link in (about $5)
  12. I bought a DID 520 chain from a well known bike shop and it has 4 broken orings. Didn't notice it till I lubed the chain but it's been on now for at least 10,000km with no probs at all. I lube regularly and clean it with engine oil when it gets a bit gunky.
    May have been old stock lying around for a while who knows, cos they had a lot sitting on the counter.
  13. Unless it's really old stock I wouldn't expect the o-rings to deteriorate to the point of breaking without some mechanical abuse or manufacturing fault.

I suspect that you'll find the chain developing tight spots more quickly than it otherwise would because the unprotected links will wear more quickly than the intact ones. Not exactly an end of the world scenario though.