Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Broken lock on the fuel tank

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Burnsie, Aug 8, 2006.

1. I went to fill up the petrol this afternoon, and the lock on the petrol tank was too difficult to turn. I spent 5 mins looking like a goose trying to open the tank to put petrol in, got the sh*ts and left. Lucky I had enough petrol to get home.

Anyway, where would be the best place to go, the locksmith or a bike shop? I ended up getting lucky and opened the tank when I got home and have taken the whole lock bit out.

Any suggestions??

2. plenty of lube spray in the lock, other than that get a locking cap from the wreckers or a bike shop.
    i guess a locksmith may be helpfull too
  3. Are you sure you've got the right key on the right bike? :cool:
  4. Granphite dust is best to use for a lock. You can even shave with a knife the lead part of a grey lead pencil and use that. Dont use CRC or WD40 cause it just ends up trapping dirt.
  5. Definately the right key- there aren't that many choices!

I heard that about WD40- so I kept away from it with the lock, but I've just had a play and it seems that the problem was more the stuff around the lock, rather than the lock itself seizing up. I figured the lock itself is probably sealed, so used the WD40 from underneath. It is running smoothly and easily now.

Just have to wait and see if the WD40 gets into the lock itself, and hope that it doean't get too dirty and stuff things up.

Thanks for the help though!!
  6. There will be locksmiths that are happy to do this stuff: ask your bike shop.