Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Broken Helmet Strap Clip

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by bradc1988, Jan 22, 2010.

1. The little button clip on my helmet strap, the 'female' one, has come off and I was wondering how one would go about replacing it? Just to be certain as to which one is gone, it's not the one at the end of the long strap, but the one that one clips into. I have a 2009 KBC VR-2.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

2. Don't do anything in the way of repairs that may compromise the safety of the helmet strap.
    Could be the difference between life and death.
    If it is under warranty, ask for a replacement helmet.

3. To be honest, I probably wouldn't bother. I very rarely use the clip myself (quite a few of my lids haven't had one anyway) and haven't found the loose end to be a problem.

But yes, if the helmet's still in warranty, see if you can get a new one.

A reasonably safe alternative would be to get some self adhesive velcro dots and use them as a strap retainer. The adhesive on them is sufficiently innocuous that it won't damage the strap material (your sweat is almost certainly more aggressive), but it's not terribly durable either.

4. this is an extremely dangerous situation and you are probably going to DIE.

5. Yes this is a serious issue that I am glad has been addressed by the members of this board. As I do not currently trust the safety of my helmet, I will ride it in on my arm to the store.

Thank you for your advice.

6. Its purpose is to stop the loose end of the strap flogging you on the neck. If it doesn't worry you riding round with the end not tethered by the clip, don't worry about it.

7. is this not the actual clip that holds the helmet on though ?. yeah late reply. if its the one that holds the extra length to stop it flapping aroung then no biggy, just get some velco, but if this is the actual clip that hold the lid to your head you might want to get that sorted. warranty i say.

8. Yeah it's just the one that holds the excess strap. It's just rather annoying not having something to secure it, I think some velcro is the solution.