Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Broken flasher unit? Electrics.

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by dm_obrien, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Hi,
    I went and started my bike (CB250) and noticed that the indicators did not work. All the other lights work; headlight, side stand indactor etc, but no indicators. I took a look, and when I turned on the indicators (either left or right) a small black box under the seat the seat clicked once. I checked the fuses, none broken. I fiddled with the box and the right indicator worked for a few seconds then nothing, just the one click each time. Is this the 'flasher unit'?
    How much will it cost to replace?
    Can I do it myself?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Update: I removed the black box, it has the following writing on it :
    12.8v 85c/m

Can someone let us know where I can buy one of this, ie
    Super Cheap Auto, or do I need to go to a specific motorcyle parts shop?
    I'd also like to know the name, i hate sounding like a noobie by say 'you know the black clicky box that makes the indicators work'

3. I'm not sure if an ordinary car one will be ok for your bike, but wherever you go to buy one, just ask for a 'flasher can'. It's a fairly universal generic name for the thing you're looking for.
  4. any flasher unit that meets the same specs will do the job.
    specs being 12.8v 85c/m.
    the only thing is, if this is a genuine honda flasher unit, it may have the pins different.

a flasher unit is just a relay with a counter, that energizes a circuit at given intervals. if you were not able to find the same specs, the difference will be the length between flashes, and flash length....as long as it is 12v.

so basically, take the black-box-thing with you, tell the people at super-cheap what you need it to do and they should be able to come up with something.

good luck
  5. Phone a wreckers, they have a gazillion of them
  6. Cheers for your help guys,
    I went to k-mart and bought a 2 pin relay unit for a few bucks. It worked a treat.

7. good result :)