Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Broken down .... Boooo

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by ralph, Jan 29, 2012.

1. So i have broken down on a ride this morning.

My accelerator cable appears to have snapped or come lose from the accelerator as when i twist, i get nothing.

Anyone else had this happen to them? Easy to reattach? Or will i need to tow it. My bike is triumph thunderbird.

2. Don't know the specific bike but changing a throttle cable shouldn't be too bad. Assuming the bike is in a secure location, buying a replacement cable and trying to fit it yourself must be cheaper than a tow.

Have you checked that it has not just come loose at either end?

3. Waiting for a mate to come with a trailer an allen key. Hoping it just came loose. I did feel it get caught and then it was gone!

4. If its not far you can turn up the idle adjuster and ride it using the clutch.

5. Ah yes the mate with a trailer a very useful biking accessory, hopefully one you don't have to use to often though. :)

6. Easy to replace. If it is still attached to the carby end, pull the twist grip apart and wrap the cable around the twist grip and hold it with your hand,

Rough and ready, But it will get you home,

7. Trailered and home now safe and sound.

Inside the twist grip, the bit that holds the cable into the twist grip, busted. So one end is attached, the other bit not. Boo urns. Ring the store tomorrow, hopefully they have a replacement grip, although only 2 year old. Should not be broken already!

8. Glad you're home safe and sound, check with your dealer you should have a 2 year warranty on the Thunderbird and if it is close they may be able to push it as a warranty case.Can only but try