Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Broken Brake Lever

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by The_brick, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Ok heres the story
    Riding today towards mt baw baw,
    crn mark at icy crk rd
    Bam Bam pulls up and said you go I will mark the crn
    Thought ok nice of him, so off I go down icy crk rd
    First crn into second crn starting to have some fun now
    Around the third crn open it up a little, hard on the brakes and lean in to the right hander then OH SHIT, Broke the front brake lever in my hand
    Tried to stand the bike up straight and look for a nice soft spot :shock:
    Found it half way down 2.5 meter bank :oops:

They found me down the bank still with the brake lever in my hand :evil:

After 30+ years of riding never had this happen before
    Oh i forgot to mention the brake lever is 4 weeks old and it didnt hit the ground

2. Shit Russ, hope you pulled out of it with just a sore wallet.
    Although methinks the incident may require some investigation, Brake levers are not supposed to BREAK!

3. wow. thats hard luck! never heard of a 4wk old brake lever breaking :(
    maybe a case of writing/ringing the makers of the lever?? am sure you could be able to argue that the accident directly happened because of the lever breaking mid-corner. Although might be a bit hard to prove with it having a few scrapes on it now from the accident.

hope you are ok though mate! Seems like you are so far as you are posting here.

4. Should be easy to prove that the accident was the result of the brake leaving breaking, had it come off because of a crash there would be damage on the lever itself, but as it didn't ever touch the deck, the lever will be pristine, if a bit short now.

Take the lever back to where you bought it from and get the details of the distributor and/or manufacturer. They can pay for any damage to the bike.

5. Obviously whoever you bought it from supplied you with a break lever instead! :LOL:

But seriously, hope you are ok mate, thats one of the most unusual offs I've heard of - nasty! Not something you'd ever expect to occur. Hope there wasn't too much damage to the bike. :)

6. Well the lever is untouched not a mark on it
    as for the bike well it can be fixed

I ended up put the bike down on the left hand side
    I think i guys who help me out were suprised when the seen the brake lever in my hand :roll:

As for me sholder is a little sore now but hey I've had worse
    will be back on her tommorow, I need to get to work some how :shock:

7. I have never heard of this happening before. Remarkable and scary

8. Was it a carbon fibre lever? It would be very weird for an anodized to break just like that unless someone had bent it.

Will

9. :shock: Glad to hear it wasn't worse Russell.

10. was it an after market lever or standard?

11. :shock: sh!t.

good to hear your ok mate!

12. When I was doing my Qride a few months ago one of the bikes had the front brake lever snap. Those bikes get dropped alot I would think but there are guards around the levers to stop them getting damaged.

Hope you get back out there soon

13. you bought the break lever from the "grammar" thread, didnt you?
    :p :p :LOL:

i've never hear of that happening before either :shock:

14. was an after market lever, I got it from a kawasaki dealer
    And not carbon fibre

15. :shock: Scary!

Glad you're OK.

I bought an aftermarket lever for my old bike, as I was due to trade it in.
    The next day, my dog jumped up near the bike, bumped the lever, and snapped it off..... :shock:
    I couldn't believe my eyes!
    The guys in the shop told me aftermarket levers aren't as strong as genuine, but i didn't think they would break that easily!

16. :shock: Scary!

Glad you're OK.

I bought an aftermarket lever for my old bike, as I was due to trade it in.
    The next day, my dog jumped up near the bike, bumped the lever, and snapped it off..... :shock:
    I couldn't believe my eyes!
    The guys in the shop told me aftermarket levers aren't as strong as genuine, but i didn't think they would break that easily!

17. Brick,

First up, FAAAARRK!!! Glad you're ok. I know that road... you're a lucky feller to have come away fairly lightly scratched. Tatts ticket for you bucko!

So, how much of the lever broke? Did you end up with a pazzo, or was it right back at the hinge?

Don't try to place the two pieces back together. There's a good chance you'll damage any "evidence" of defect(s) that caused the lever to fail. Someone like JD or myself could have a look at the fracture surface and offer a technical opinion to add weight to any followup.

Got any pics? Maybe some close ups? Perhaps we can do some preliminary diagnosis...

On the face of it, I think you have a bloody good case to pursue for compensation.

Just on after market levers, they are cheap for a reason. OEM ones are drop forged OR cast with high QA/QC factors and good alloys... no such niceties with the aftermarket ones.

Anyway, glad you're ok.

18. Robsaalv is 100% correct.
    You should have an expert look at it, and you should claim compensation. (and you have grounds).
    The lever caused the accident-simple.
    If they refuse / won't play, Fair Trading is your friend.

PM if you need advice.

19. :shock: That's not good.
    I'm with Rob on this, definitely worth getting it checked out. Happy to have a look at it myself, can even do a hardness test and compare against a genuine part. If it looks like you'll need to take it to court I can also give you the contact details of a Metallurgist in Ballarat who is an expert in failure analysis.

20. Thanks for the info guys
    will post up some pics soon
    The company who makes them is coming around to look at it
    well to the kawasaki store anyway
    will have a chat with them and see what they have to say
    From there i will check out my options