Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Broadband users - check your ISP's new plans!!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Ktulu, Jul 11, 2007.

1. My family got cable with Bigpond a couple of years ago: $69.95 [yeah! 69, hilarious, I know lollololol] plan which has given us a 10gig/month data transfer allowance before everything returns to snail's pace.

I just check their available plans: identical price, but you get 12gig/month?!

I don't know how long this has been on offer for, but dammit those pricks didn't tell us about it OR switch us to the new version of the same plan when it became available. They were most content to leave us with less data for more money than any new customer was receiving.

So with 3 clicks I changed over, and as of Friday we score a 20% increase in net usage for the SAME PRICE.

Worth a look anyways, people.
  2. I have about 11000/1024 speed (can download at maximum about 1.2meg/sec and upload at 100K) plan for $69.95 and download about 120-150gb a month with iiNet :) Its a 40/20 plan but due to their late shaping software, people can download for about 20-40 hours before it kicks in (remembering there is 2 seperate times, off and on peak) and downloading at an about average of 4GB every hour, I queue up heaps and d/l 4GB every hour for like 20-40 on top of the 60 GB already alloted for the month. Great value for me ;)
  3. Telstra! :rofl:
    Select from our options-
    Press 1 for Ky jelly
    Press 2 for Vaseline
    Press 3 for massage oil
    Or hold the line and we'll just rip you a new one.
    Took me over 3 MONTHS to get a residential line put on in a suburban street. I got told I'd have to pay them $3000 to run a new 16 pair cable down the street, but rural users are guaranteed broadband?
    I love them, I think they don't know at all they have a huge monopoly and their attitudes don't reflect it in any way.

Regards, Andrew.
  4. Yeah iinet always changes its plans to 'benefit' us. In actual fact they strategically create new plans that you effectively have to upgrade to.
  5. Should have mentioned I am with TPG, have been for years. Originally dial up and now broadband.
    Keep looking at others and keep finding them by far the best option for me. Service is first class too, never have outages, always fast to respond to any contact I make.

Regards, Andrew.
  6. Hmmmm!

Well at the time we got cable Bigpond were the only people who did broadband in our area with a plan that didn't charge you for going over your d/l limit [just shaped the speed].

Now I'm thinking we need to change... iinet will give us twice the data transfer for the same money on similar terms.
    TPG charge when you go over - we found that risky with dial-up, but for the same money in this instance we'd have to d/l more than 15 times our current d/l limit - which would be a challenge, I guess.

7. Don't you run out of stuff to download?
  8. Nup. I used to download 13gb every month when 56K was available in Aus for a good few years til broadband. I hate to see the data I've got but that's nothing compared to the euro people I know. They d/l like 50GB a day every day and still "want more" :shock: And they've had it that way for YEARS.
  9. When BP Cable was first announced I was on dialup. We were lucky to get 26kbps. Our estate, a new one, was on one of those boxes where all the phone lines go into and from there a single cable back to the exchange. It prevented any sort of decent modem speeds, let alone ADSL which wasn't available back then.

A mate had a 64kbps ISDN line into his house from which he ran an internet business (he was the local agent for Access One, later, taken over by Ozemail). That was the beez kneez, I thought.

Today, I'm on ADSL2+ and have been since July last year. I get around 12-14mbits/sec download. I have a 20/20 gig data allowance and its reliability is rock solid. Costs me $69.95/mth.

I don't know why people persist with Bigpond. What's the attraction with it, and particularly with cable? Certainly it doesn't seem to offer any financial benefits. Or am I missing something? It doesn't matter, anyway, even if it were superior to ADSL, outside of the metro areas it doesn't exist.

10. Why persist with big pond? Because im paying $36 a month for cable extreme and there is no adsl2 option where I live.

Given adsl2 from anyone else I'd be long gone. Five times I've rung for support and they hang up after their 35 minute hold service standard.....
  11. Bigpond is great for people it caters for. Theres a lot of free content on there which "mums and dads" would like. For others, other ISPs are better. It does depend on the users wants/uses but most ISPs users on average download 1-3 GB I think in Australia of "quota data" which is probably a "typer user" checking email, some web pages and that's it. For people who have found the "love" the internet can offer, it's best to use another ISP due to quota prices usually :)
  12. I'm with Exetel. They notified me in June that they were discontinuing the plan I was on and that I would need to choose a new plan. The reason given was that it was not economic for them to continue that plan. I was paying $56.10 per month for 512/256 with 30gb download. (But with a fixed IP).
    Fair enough. So I chose the next plan up, 1024/512, with 12gb download (I download about a gig a month), and it costs $55 a month! Faster and cheaper, so how come the other was uneconomic?
  13. +1, i'm with them on ADSL2+, and no complaints about service/speed/talking to india!
  14. Wazza is right regarding BP. They've got a target market and they service that well. It's the same with Harvey Norma, Clive Peters etc...you can get better products, cheaper and with proper customer service, but that requires a little bit of effort. Much easier to just go with what you know.

Liz is paying $39.95/mth for a Bogpond 256k plan for 12g. That was only after I spluttered when she told me that she previously paid that much for 400mb. She didn't know any different and never thought to change. A conversation with Telstra saw her plan move to 12gb download for the same price as before for 12mths. After 12mths, the plan she's on will increase in cost. At which point I will ensure she gets of Bogpond and sources a better plan. She's also in an ADSL2+ area as well.
  15. Internode always advice customers of price/plan changes and often migrate users to the newer plan IF IT's BETTER
  16. Really? Not my experience and not that of their MD, Simon Hackett, who's made comments in Whingepool that Internode do not migrate users to new plans unless the customer requests it. Their point is that they do not know what their customer wants and often a plan change may have other knock effects that make making a choice for their customer hard. What they do do is provide warning and communication and follow ISP best practice for fee free contract exits if a change is detrimental to the customer.

Even with the latest changes to their plans, they still beat IINET (who I was a loyal customer of for 3yrs) who made 3 negative changes within 6mths.
  17. I am with AAPT (I get a staff plan so costs barely anything)

I do however use the unmetered wireless at work, runs at around 700k/sec and I normally pull down about 50gig (give or take) a week.
  18. Thats alot of gay p0rn.
  19. That pretty well sums it up. Telstra Bigpond relies on brand recognition and the illusion that a bundled service with your phone offers value for money.

When BP was rated as the most expensive service recently it objected, saying that the survey was flawed. It made the comment that most Australians are on 256k/400megs. That may be true, but it doesn't make the service value for money. I'd suggest that people who are on such plans are because (a) they don't know any better, (b) that they can't afford the higher plans that BP or most other ISPs have to offer.

We have one of the most expensive internet services in the world. It's no surprise that most punters opt for the minimum plans.
  20. LOL!

When I was doing Sysadmin for one of our outsourced customers I was asked to review the proxy logs and compile a report. This is before good web content filtering s/w was widely available. Being a sql dba, I of course pumped this data into a nice sql database and stripped the data out. Of the serveral hundred mb a day they were downloading, most was hardcore p0rn, some finance, some job seeking sites and the occasional work related stuff. Of course, we then referred to their proxy server as the 'p0rn Database'. Why go surfing for your own when you could do a sift through someone elses log and go straight to the good stuff.

Ah, them was the days....before AUP's become common practice.