Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

broached the 'motorbike' thing with the folks

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Lobsta, Aug 17, 2008.

1. first and foremost, i still have all my limbs!

neither coming from a favourable background biking wise (mum's brother came off when riding pillion and slid along the road on his knees wearing shorts), they were naturally not overjoyed. more concerned for my safety than anything. also concerned for my financial wellbeing with buying my first bike. both of which i understand and am also concerned with (my kneecaps that will be broken coming off and my kneecaps that will be broken if i default on a loan).

How did other riders in similar situations deal with telling their folks?

Both my uncles have said that dirt riding is a good idea pre road riding, but the overwealming feeling i have gotten from this forum is that dirt riding can teach bad riding habits, and just getting out there and riding anywhere is the best thing. Thoughts?

My thoughts on the dirt riding is that, riding technique aside, I would rather buy a bike that i am happy and comfortable with than one that i am just ok with, and that my parents are marginally happier with.

Also, what are people's thoughts on financing first bikes?

Hope i still have a roof over my head tomorrow.

2. Hmmmm well dirt riding and road riding on a sports bike at least are two very different things in my experience... apart from basic controls (clutch etc).

As for financicng your first bike.... there is probably a real good chance you will either write it off OR be jack of it well before u have paid it off, and unless you buy one of a select few models, there is little chance you will be able to sell it for anywhere near what it cost u.... spend what u can afford out of ur own pocket and enjoy it more I reckon...

Oh and if u do finance, u gotta not only take into account eh fact that it will cost a fortune to repay, u must also comprehensively insure it! But then again, I would reccomend that anyways... unless u can afford to buy a replacement if u dropped it...
  3. im looking at short term repayment schedule. only looking around 4ish thousand. have a 1 thousand tax refund inbound, so withing 6 months paid off probably. will probably have more than 1000 by the time i buy as well. hoping that they will be nice enough to provide finance, though not counting on it.

on another note, the whole experience has got me doubting my decision to get a bike. which really, what good parent cant have that effect on their child? its like the first thing taught at parent school. but i know that is a transient thing and tomorrow i will still be snapping my next around at every motorbike i see in the street and jumping on bikesales to see if another gpx is for sale yet every hour or two...

4. I think loans for a bike is bad news, period. You should only buy what you can afford, because you've got to be prepared to lose it just as quick!

But that is just my opinion.

I'm not sure of the bad rep about going from trail bikes to road bikes is, I started riding on an old KLR250 and apart from the riding position I didnt find it much different to riding my first roadworthy bike (suzuki intruder 250).

And about telling the parents... My mum owns a Ducati SS and my dad a Vulcan 2000, so they originally gave me hell for buying a 250 cruiser!
  5. And rightly so :p

My son told my mum accidently, she decided to do the whole head on the sand thing, she's come around now and thinks it's all fantastic and even talks about getting a scooter now and then.
  6. didnt tell them. i got my licence, and bought all the gear, they came back from a weekend away and my gear was sitting on the lounge floor. mum thought i was going to get my licence, and was warding me away from it.. couple weeks later a guy knocks on the door and says hi im here to deliver the bike. so i paid the money, and went away for the weekend(in the car) and left the bike where they had to look at it all day whilst i was away. 3 years on they are comfortable enough with it, obviously they still worry.. but i was always going to do it weather they liked it or not. they threatened to make me move out so i left a few real estate brouchers sitting around the house. once they knoew i wasnt going to give it up they let it be.
  7. now THIS GUY get me! i dont think they will make me move out (mum gets cranky when i dont say 'bye' before leaving to uni. but yeah, my decision, they are gonna have to deal with it.
  8. They will love you more if you get a cruiser. Fact.
  9. Lobby

I was in your position about a year back. My parents were firmly against me getting a bike, but I worked my way and got it in the end (they are actually pretty anti-motorcycling). I've also had 4 accidents in the past 5 months (being young, bold and stupid) but my parents still haven't stopped me riding. Dad's even helping me with my electrics when my bits arrive from Stateside.

I reckon, just work and have the cash... and be happy spending it. Imho, I'm against taking loans, just buy it outright (unless its a house). Earn their trust, and you'd be set!

Ps. You'd appreciate not catching public transport to Uni everyday, its so much quicker and possibly cheaper to ride to Uni.

Pps. My mother wants me to give her my Uni timetable and assessments, soooooooooo DUMB... It's not that actually look at it ever, so I sorta understanding your "bye.. off to uni thing" lol
  10. Well I guess your in the exact same situation I was 6 months ago. I told my parents that I was going to do the pre-learner course just to see if I liked motorbikes, although I had every intention of getting one. Then I slowly purchased all my gear to show them I was serious about safety.

As to the type of bike I got, that was easy. I don't see the point in a dirt bike unless your actually going to ride it on dirt, so if your going to use a motorbike for commuting, a road bike is a much better option.

I actually took out a loan for the bike. I did have enough cash for it, however I didn't want to spend nearly all of my savings. So the loan is for a 1 year period, and I'm only paying around $500 in interest. I also have loan insurance, because if I had a bad accident and couldn't work then the payments would stop until I could work again. In the end I guess it's up to you, it all depends on your individual circumstances. If you are going to get a loan, stay away from the Commanwealth Bank. Their interest rates are higher than every other bank.
  11. Doesn't teach you bad habits at all. I think it's a GREAT way to get your falling over done without enormous expense or risk, because so much of it happens so slowly when you are starting. You will learn what happens with things slide, how to brake on loose surfaces and about balance. Even slow riding offroad teaches you things you retain as long as you are on two wheels.

There is no reason you can't commute on a 250 dirt bike. I did it for years. Yes it is different, but they have their distinct advantages. They are narrow and nimble, can be ridden up any curbs you like, and the riding position is brilliant. They also crash well. Also, a trailie with blemishes is far easier to sell than any small road bike with blemishes. Don't rule it out. They will be less than ideal for freeway work or touring, but only you know what sort of riding you'll be doing.

As far as I am concerned, finance on a depreciating asset should only be undertaken when it is more an issue of need than want.

I think you would be wiser to be less ambitious for your first bike, buy cheap and cheerful, and spend much less money and time worrying about the bike. Any bike that goes is better than no bike at all, but how much better is a new beginner bike than an older cheap and cheerful bike? 10,000? You can easily disappear that much on insurance, interest, depreciation, repairs in a couple of years... I'm still riding cheap bikes after 10 years of riding and I'm plenty happy parking a cheap bike I own in a garage that I am paying off, rather than parking a bike I am paying off in a garage I am renting.
  12. The others have covered this already, I suppose, but yeah -

Show your parents that you're serious about safety and that you're not one of Those riders. You know, the idiots who make it onto the front page of the newsr, clocked at 200+kph at 9am in a school zone.

That means - getting all the proper gear (gloves, boots, armoured pants, armour jacket, helmet), and wearing it of course... Taking additional training courses.

The type of motorcycle you choose can also have an influence on your parents' attitude. A balls-to-the-wall race-replica sportsbike making nearly 180 horsepower per litre like the CBR250RRrRrRrRRrRRrRRrrrRRRrr or RVF400/VFR400 will probably be less 'acceptable' than a sensible-looking, practical naked bike like the VTR250 or GS500, even though the sensible-looking ones are almost just as fast.

Your parents' reaction, of course, depends on their own perspective. My mother's cousin rode, and my mother works with (and is friends with) someone who commutes every day and hasn't ever come off. She doesn't mind it at all. My father, on the other hand, was chief pilot of a major airline and had to frantically reorganise the pilot roster whenever a motorcyclist-pilot crashed on the way to work, so his experiences are mostly negative.
  13. riding anything is always good practice than riding nothing at all.

dirt bikes, mountain bikes, etc, all help with improving your skills. basic things like balance, feeling what the bike is doing underneath you, hand controls and reacting without grabbing a handful of front brake, etc, etc.

dirtbikes have the ability to teach you how to react when you powerslide, or the back swings out under heavy braking, etc. 2 common things on the road, especially in bad conditions (wet, white lines, oil on the road, loose surfaces, etc)

secondly, riding in a paddock, around a makeshift track, sliding all over the place in the mud, wet grass, loose gravel, etc, will teach you more about brake & throttle control, than anything you can learn in a Pre-Learner's course.

most dirtbikes can be road registered, so u'll still be able to commute on it, and lets face it. riding is riding, who cares what you're on, just get out there and have fun.

and good luck with the parents.
  14. Lots of good info in the thread so far, so I'll just kick in a few more small bits and pieces:

(1) People who talk about riding dirt bikes first are't talking about riding a trail bike on the road. They're talking about a situation where you have access to plenty of space well off the road somewhere, on private property, and can trailer the bike there and learn to ride with no cars to contend with and plenty of space. It sounds as though that's nothing like your situation, Lobsta, so you can probably cross that piece of advice off your list.

(2) In terms of finance, I'd avoid getting it through the bike shop like the plague. Avoid finance entirely if you can - believe it or not, the couple of grand you have can get you a running, working road bike with no loan, although remember to set aside some cash for gear. But if you have to borrow, make it a personal loan if at all possible - lower interest, less charges, much more tolerant situation if you have to miss a payment.

(3) In terms of the parents, there's good advice in the thread: if you can buy some Draggins and show them to your parents, some of the concern about the uncle's knees will be allayed. And so on. Show them you're being responsible for your own safety and taking it seriously, talk about roadcraft. Do you drive the car with them? Show them how aware you are of what's going on around you. Basically, they're not the enemy, they're on your side... so if you can show them that it's safe, and that you'll be sensible, they'll come around.
  15. With respect, Bravus, Draggins are not the best example of armoured pants - Draggin Jeans only offer abrasion protection unless you install optional Knox knee impact protectors, and even then there's no hip impact protection.

Actual armoured pants would be better to show. :)
  16. Good points there. I started on a dirt bike, nothing wrong with it, heaps of fun on the streets too.
    In regards to bad habits that is true, but only on the dirt are you doing crazy stuff like having no rear traction at 60km/h + and still gettin on the gas through the forest etc. I did just that, but never took any of this onto the roads.

Why get a loan? You can pick up cheap road bikes for $2000, borrow of mum and dad :grin:
  17. I have some experience in this area coming from a family whos father raced and mother wanted nothing to do with these silly bike thinigs.. is a loooooong ass storey that need not be told here.
    1 - do NOT get a loan for your first bike.. save some coin and then get a cheap but SAFE mount to get about on...by your age your parents will hate banks and loans and respect will be gained by going it yourself. and youwont have to shout the bar as you are 'saving' your money.
    2 - get GOOD gear. you may never ever come off, ( you prob will ) and that stuff will still look new years from now but if you show the olds that you care about the body you have it will make them think more about what a sensible young fella you are.
    3 - dont get on a bike until you have your licence and have maybe done a course or something. remember your oldies who yes i do not not nore do i know you, want you to stay alive. it will help you get better quicker also.

now i would reverse everything i just said.

insert patience here.. this wont happen in a week.

Bike. the last two can be combined as you will save enough money to do this if you feel like it..

get someone who has been on a bike for sometime to help you shop..im sure someone on here will be willing to help you if we knew where you were.

Then you're off to be the coolest kid on the block.
  18. Strangely enough my mum was more ok with me riding dirt bikes even though I'd stack it at least 5 times in an outing and come home with some great souveniers on my skin and one time a few broken bones. Dad was happy as long as I could pick up the bike by myself, although he felt compelled to tell my boyfriend that I need reminding that I'm not invincible.

Then as soon as I started riding road bikes it was a whole different story. Even though she'd be happy playing pillion with dad (they rode from Brisbane to Melbourne and back again - mostly in rain) all of sudden I was risking my life. She's slowly come around the last month or so and she's stopped reminding me of how my Uncle Brian lost half his arm after a parked car opened their door. She won't admit to it but you can see a twinkle in her eye when dad mentions a bike he's interested in...

It's natural that parents are going to worry. Just avoid any stories that'd make them cringe - especially any near misses!
  19. best advice ever.. they dont want or NEED to hear that stuff. according to them everytime you get back from a ride it was great and you love life.