Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National British guidelines for filtering traffic.

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by smee, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Many thanks to Tony E for finding this:
    British Guidelines
    The British publication “Motorcycle Roadcraft” ( The Police Riders Handbook to Better Motorcycling), notes the following under the topic of “overtaking”:-

When traffic is stationary or moving slowly in queues, motorcyclists can use their manoeuvrability and limited space requirements to make progress. The advantages of filtering along or between stopped or slow moving traffic have to be weighed against the increased vulnerability while filtering.
    If you decide to filter:
    • Take extreme care
    • Keep your speed low- you need to be able to stop suddenly if circumstances change
    • Always identify a place where you can rejoin the traffic flow before you move out
    • Make yourself visible – consider using dipped headlight
    • Be ready to brake and/or use the horn
    • Use the opportunity to make progress but be courteous and avoid conflict with other road users

Watch out for and anticipate:
    • Pedestrians crossing between vehicles
    • Vehicles emerging from junctions
    • Vehicles changing lanes or U-turning without warning
    • Doors opening
    • Reflective paint and studs which could throw the bike off line
    • Traffic islands
    • Other bikes also filtering

2. i wants that here!

3. Thanks Smee - I was going to ask about a sticky but you beat me to it. =D>

4. Rule 88 of the Highway Code seems to cover it.
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069854

Some interesting reading there.

5. Someone explain it to the nong i saw the other day on the M5 splitting traffic at 80km/h and just generally being a pest.it's better than the guy i saw years ago who was doing about 20-30 over the rest of the traffic (which was at 80-95) through the same section.

6. Good to see the British reference posted. I am interested in any other sources of "official" comment on "filtering".

At the last meeting of the Qld Motorcycle Safety Advisory Group (QMSAG), the Australian Motorcycle Council rep raised concerns about a few points in the new Qld Motorcycle Riders' Guide. One of the points of concern related to what they call "Lane Splitting". The relevant text of the Guide is reproduced here:
    The concern was the description of "lane splitting" as "extremely dangerous". What evidence has this been based upon? Also of concern was that "lane splitting" was being used to cover both riding between both stationary and moving traffic. As the Ulysses representative on QMSAG, I raised the difference between "lane splitting" and "filtering", a topic discussed at our last meeting of the Ulysses Club's Road Safety Committee (UCRSC).

The UCRSC differentiates between "lane splitting" defined by riding between traffic when it is moving (i.e. at normal speeds), and "filtering" defined by riding between or beside stationary traffic (or traffic moving very slowly, say up to 10 or 20 kph). The UCRSC has agreed that lane splitting is dangerous and not condoned, but that filtering can be safe.

In addition to the British reference above, filtering is legal and accepted in other countries. The Wikipedia page covering the various practices known as lane splitting, lane sharing, filtering, whitelining and stripe-riding. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lane_splitting.

So as a final note, if we are ever going to gain acceptance for filtering, I believe we must first establish, promote and reinforce a clear difference between the various practices being referred to, being careful to refer to:
    • "filtering" when talking about riding safely between or beside stationary or very slow moving traffic, and
    • "lane splitting" as the poor or bad practice.
    Thoughts?

7. Absolutely! The first perogative of discussions with Minister Pallas and Deputy Commissioner Lay covered this exact same reasoning. Defining the argument is the first step in any debate. Regardless of opinion we all must accept that to lobby for lane splitting is futile, much the same as lobbying for unrestricted exhaust levels. However our case is and must be that filtering is not the "deadly game" foisted on us by people who have never been on a motorbike. We know it's not, now we have to prove it.

8. On the QLD Transport (Motorcycle safety) website there is a "Safety Quiz" with multiple coice answers.
    One of the questions asks "Is it safe to lane-split while riding?"
    The answers being: Yes, No, Only in stationary traffic, Only in moving traffic"

If you get it wrong get aloud honking horn noise and this:
    "It is extremely dangerous to overtake between two vehicles travelling side by side in the same direction on a multilane road, irrespective of whether the vehicles are moving or stationary."

It also used to say "It is never legal to lane-split".

So there is a an interesting connection between legality and safety as well as a very broad definition of safety.

9. Two years ago I completed a diploma in advanced motorcycle instruction under the auspices of RoSPA (Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents - note the "prevention of accidents" bit) The course is based on 'Roadcraft' and included hundreds of miles of observed riding, some of which was through central Birmingham. In order to pass the course, you must make "progress" where appropriate and this means filtering. In fact a rider would be penalised if they didn't filter. Judicious use of filtering in a safe manner is viewed as a necessary skill and is promoted through the Bronze, Silver and Gold levels of RoSPA training.

Like anything on a motorcycle, it can be unsafe and it can be safe. Obviously with public and bureaucratic acceptance it becomes even safer and with training, safer still. Hence why our police are trained to do it. There is no reason why any rider cannot do it safely - millions do every day.

I ride a lot of kays in Europe and the best countries to see mutual accomodation of filtering are the UK and Belgium, where vehicles will happily move aside if you sound the horn and riders then thank drivers for being part of a safe practice by extending the right leg.

As far as I'm aware, at this time there is no truly empirical evidence to suggest that filtering is actually dangerous. In fact as a risk function of riding, it rates massively below cornering, braking etc.

Filtering is beneficial to all road users and can be done safely, as evidenced by the UK rules and the fact that police can be trained. It is a subject that will diligently pursued by the Riders' Division of MA.
    Rob

10. I honestly can't see how filtering is any more dangerous than anything else we do on a motorcycle from day to day. In stationary or slow moving traffic I can only see it as being beneficial. If you are filtering through traffic then obviously cars are side by side and can't really change lanes quickly so the likely hood of being hit by a car is next to none.

Just another way for the government to raise some revenue.

11. Welcome to NR Rob (rider5), I hope you continue to post, someone of your background and experience has a lot to offer.

12. Have any of you guys been to Paris and seen their version of Filtering/Splitting? There are sooo many scooters/bikes over there, and if they cant get between you on the white lines they just toot their horns to get you to make room. Nuts.

13. I've seen that - and Rome struck me as much worse!

Having said that, it seems to work. At least I didn't see a single accident.
    Unlike cyclists in Amsterdam, where I saw 3 accidents in 4 days. :eek:

14. that alone would make me jump ship and sign up with the MA.
    whilst it's never been illegal to filter in Vic, technically it's yet to be legalized. if the MA pushes for it consider me signed up.

As a rider in Vic, the only official training i've ever had specifically designed to ensure i can filter safely is exercise 3 in the Vic motorcycle learner permit >http://www.ridetek.com.au/learningtesting.htm
    and that's it, that's all you get, and they let you out to play on your new bike in traffic. not good enough really is it.

does anyone here know of any advanced rider training available here that can help me improve my filtering skills and safety practicing filtering ?
    i'm going to look into it myself through the week as time permits, but AFAIK no advanced training courses here offer advanced filtering in the curriculum.