Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

British government helmet safety ratings

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Johnny O, Jun 13, 2008.

1. The below link is to English Motorcycle News where they have listed the safety ratings of most helmets on the market.

I'd be interested in knowing what tests were conducted.

I think I'll be ditching my Arai Condor, it is a heavy helmet, maybe that increases it's inertia in drop tests giving it a worse rating?

2. :rofl:
    my $129 nitro, that was a spare, but became my favourite, scores 4/5 and my expensive kbc scores an unreal 2/5.
    you get what you pay for??
  3. I'm on the verge of buying a new helmet; either a HJC carbon fibre HQ-1 (I think it is a CL15 or AC14 or something in Oz) or a Shark RSI, the Shark is so awesomely light and is half the price of the carbon HJC..... I think that'll be the one.
  4. It's going to depend so much on the testing criteria.

I had a recent incident where my head broke before my helmet (no evidence of crushed/compressed foam inside, but my head certainly shows it), so there's a case for helmets being designed for enormous hits rather than normal hits. That's another angle to take it from.