Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Brisbane to Mackay

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by ametha elf, Nov 8, 2010.

1. I will be riding from Brisbane to Mackay and back late December. Haven't been along that road in many years. Can anyone let me know what to expect with the roads up that way, thanks.

2. Hi Ametha,
    I haven't ridden any of those roads, but driven some of them enough. Are you planning on riding up the coast or inland? Also are you doing it over a couple of days?
    I can't put my finger on it, but the road between Rockhampton and Mackay is one of the most mind numbingly boring pieces of road ever - it feels like it's three times longer than what it is. generally the road condition isn't much different to SEQ. My suggested route from Nth Brissy would be - Gympie, Kilkivan, Tansey, Gayndah, Monto, Biloela, Mt Morgan, Rocky, Mackay. A bit more interesting than the coast road. Be wary around Gayndah, sometimes the bugs at night are horrendous, you'll be smeared with bug guts very quickly destroying your vision.
  3. Will be doing the trip in 2 or 3 days each way. Was thinking about going up the coast road, but you've given me a good option there, food for thought, thanks :)
  4. Heya,

Im from CQ grew up in Mt Morgan (just outta Rocky) I have travelled that coast road I cant remember how many times and it has some really bad patches of road, heaps of trucks and is patrolled by cops alot.

The major part to be careful on is the range just north of Gin Gin have had some near misses with trucks in this area afew times hate going through it.

Plus the coast road is mind numbingly boring.

The inland road would be the way I would head up, stopped going the coast road yrs ago as the inland road is very good and alot less trucks and traffic in general, just watch the wildlife at night if leaving late.

Also the Mt Morgan range is bumpy as hell doesnt get looked after that well, if ya do come through that way when ya leave Bilo, ya gotta head towards Dululu once you reach Dululu head straight through to Westwood then into Rockhampton.

and if you really have alot of time to kill instead of turning to head to Rocky could head to Blackwater, Emerald, Capella, Clermont, Strathfield, Serina, Mackay.
  5. Am so disappointed. Hubbys bike has been in the workshop getting a new radiator made up (quicker than getting one sent from the UK) and was supposed to be ready next week, a couple of days before we planned to leave. Anyway, the sad story is, his bike wont be ready until mid January now, which means no long distance ride. As we run our own business and only get a week and a half holiday a year, this is the only time we can get away til next December. Cant even go riding in that time unless we pillion on mine, and neither of us are happy about doing that. Did I mention that I am so disappointed???
  6. Sorry to hear that.I run my own businesses(2) so hear where you are coming from